Underlay - Damp membrane question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought rustic oak laminate flooring from homebase in the sales and the genuinely helpful (carpenter) assistant recommended the softboard underlay for my living room and hall. It was a little more expensive but he said the benefits over the tinfoil covered foam were much better.

Once my carperts are lifted and the old underlay binned, I have tiles under all that, which will remain and the softboard underlay and floor boards will then go down. My question is, do I need a damp proof membrane. The assistant didn't mention anything and as I said, he seemed to know his stuff. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's best to have the dpm there: tiles are cold (if ceramic) or can be sweaty (if vinyl) which both can create moist or condensation problems.

Do you think I should stay with the softboard, or take it back for a refund and get the much more popular underlay that already has a DPM?

Sponsored Links
If the foil on the softboards isn't a DPM (some are) then, yes take it back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back