underpinned houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a house which has been underpinned, due to subsidence which has come up in the land search. Should I be concerned about future subsidence in the light of its underpinning and will it affect my ability to resell the property :?:

Sponsored Links
Aaaah, but it seems it's concerning you, so does that answer your question with regards to re-selling ?

Canarywharf said:
Should I be concerned about future subsidence in the light of its underpinning and will it affect my ability to resell the property :?:
My friend has underpinning with 30' hole every 3' in the kitchen area, just had done again 5 years later as the ground has not settle and cost £19,000. This is a difficult one to answer, I think I would be very concern specially if your building insurance will not cover the cost 100%.

I don't think any building surveror can tell you either as we never know with our weather etc.

My house has been underpinned before we bought it. It is an Edwardian terraced house, and the subsidence was caused by a leaking drain. The rear wing of the house was underpinned in 1992. We kept the same insurance policy that the previous owners had, as it can be difficult to get insurance for underpinned houses. We haven't had any further problems *touch wood*

I also know someone else who bought a previously underpinned house, and didn't have a problem getting new insurance for it. So although it will put lots of buyers off, people do still buy and sell underpinned houses.

Sponsored Links
Just the mention of the word seems to scare people off-its like the stigma of Skoda cars,they cant seem to shake it off,no matter how good they are now.
I feel a far more scary subject has crept into insurance companies small print-
"...the property is not on a flood plain..."
Thats about 25% of the houses in our county.

I thought with flooding they will pay out once per policy, so as soon as someone has their house flooded they would do well to move asap. :?:

My parents live near the Thames, almost every year the houses by the river get flooded.

Nah, Surrey. I never realised Chiswick gets flooded, I would have thought the Thames is wide enough by then to deal with it, plus with the high banks they have there.

I would be rather miffed if I had just spent a million or so on a nice house in Chiswick, only for it to get flooded. Still, I would just get on my million pound boat that I would have moored nearby (why else would you live in Chiswick!). :cool:

There is a road called chiswick mall, 99% of the hoses have water tight gates, they do need them, i was there about 3 weeks ago, flooded (as usual)

I say flooded, you could not see where the road is but you could drive through it (slowly)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back