Understanding Terminal Marking on Timer Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm replacing a two-way landing light switch with a programme timer switch but the programme switch has terminal markings: LIVE , 2 WAY & LOAD. Can you please tell me what terminals correspond to L1, L2 & Common. I've tried all combinations but when I turn on the light switch downstairs the light comes on but I cannot turn it off/on from the new switch on the landing? Thanx.

Sponsored Links
LIVE is Common

Load is L1

2 way is L2.

(as far as i know. i take it it is designed for 2-way lighting circuits.

First things first.

Is this timeswitch designed to replace a light switch?

Thanx but still not working. I took the timer switch from the same place in my old house so I know it works. I have the YELLOW link cable and RED switch cable in LOAD, BLUE link cable and BLACK switch cable in 2- WAY and RED link cable in LIVE as per diagram in Collins DIY manual. The light works from the downstairs switch but not the timer switch! Help and Wake Me Up B4 U Go Go!

Sponsored Links
LIVE to the live, which could be L1 or L2 depending on how the 2 core switch drop is connected.

2 WAY will be to which ever L1 or L2 is not constant live.

LOAD will be the old COM

My guess anyway.

Sorry, I don't understand what your saying. Can you tell me what colour cables go into terminals LIVE, 2-WAY & LOAD?

Lectrician said:
LIVE to the live, which could be L1 or L2 depending on how the 2 core switch drop is connected.

2 WAY will be to which ever L1 or L2 is not constant live.

LOAD will be the old COM

My guess anyway.

I don't have the wiring instructions as I took it from my old house before I moved where it worked fine with a two-gang two way switch at the bottom of the stairs and a single 2 way switch at the top which it replaced. I have put back the original two way switch for now. Thanks anyway

Spark123 said:
Can you scan and post the instruction book wiring diagram? I'm wondering if you need to replace the other 2way switch with a momentary switch or something similar.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8463[/QUOTE]

Frazzled said:
Sorry, I don't understand what your saying. Can you tell me what colour cables go into terminals LIVE, 2-WAY & LOAD
no we cant. because all 2-way lighting circuits are wired differently according to the situation of the switches and lights, therefore you will always have different colours and cables at each switch. There are a couple of methods that are widely used, but especially in new houses and unusual layouts, there are other methods that are becoming more popular, and introduce more wires at the switch location.

Stupid question time: Seeing as you admit the time switch worked OK in the previous location, why didn't you make a note of which wires went to which terminals before you removed it?

Mmmmm.... I'm obviously not Mr Organised like you. It was a last minute grab on the day of the move!!!

securespark said:
Stupid question time: Seeing as you admit the time switch worked OK in the previous location, why didn't you make a note of which wires went to which terminals before you removed it?

If you can post a pic of the back and fromt of the switch, there is a chance someone may recognise it.

You still haven't answered my earlier question:

securespark said:
First things first.

Is this timeswitch designed to replace a light switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back