Uneven floor, should I use self levelling compound?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had a kitchen extension built, the external wall to the kitchen and the internal wall to the dining room have been removed to make one big kitchen/dining room.

I have found the highest point on the floor which is where the old kitchen outside wall used to be and started tiling (Large 600mm square porcelain tiles)
The new kitchen area has been ok to tile (up to 10mm thick adhesive used in a couple of places). However the existing kitchen and dining room floor slopes away slightly and is going to require at least 10mm adhesive to build up the level. I have found it difficult to get the adhesive thick enough that the tiles don't keep sinking down once laid.

Should I use a 5mm self leveling compound over the whole area first to build up the level before laying the tiles? Is this going to be any cheaper than using 1omm of adhesive? (Currently costing £22.50 per 25Kb bag as it is Porcelain adhesive!)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back