unexpected downpour at work...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we had big rain here today..

at one point it flooded the roof gutters in the middle of the factory and started pouring in..

several small switch fuses got wet along with 6 fork truck chargers and other bits of kit..

but the bit that makes me worried is that it poured about 50 gallons over three large 3 phase distribution boards.. several hundred amps each...

I had to run outside in the downpour and lightning into the sub station and turn off the affected boards..

I now have to go in tomorrow and dry them out before turning them back on..

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't it be better posting in Roofing and Guttering :LOL:
Have fun with the megger anyway!!

nah... propane torch and a pair of rubber gloves.. if it don't go bang, it's fine.... :D

Sponsored Links
I've just spent most of the day in a shop that got flooded out on Thursday night.

I used to work in a factory which had the cover missing from an inspection elbow directly below a 200A TP dist board. (It was an old stylee with rewireable ceramic fuses).

Turns out the cover was missing to act as a drain for the DB when the roof leaked :eek:

Seems to be all too common, I work in a large factory that produces gas turbines and when there's a lenghty downpour it isn't all that uncommon to see a 3ph DB drenched in rainwater somewhere on the premises.

In fact, I noticed a leak next to some 11kV gear today. It's not part of the work I'm involved in, although it appears to be some form of switchgear used for connecting the generator on one of the turbine test beds into the grid. This same piece of equipment had a large metal guard erected around it last month to restrict access, but the installers neglected to notice the fire door in the wall which they had also fenced off. What's worse is that anyone unlucky enough to use that door from the other side would have found themselves in a cage with 11kV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back