United Kingdom Blue and Brown Wiring of Floor Lamp -- HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an English floor lamp which I am trying to add an on/off dimmer switch to. The original dimmer switch does not work which I have removed. The wiring has one brown wire and one blue wire. The instructions for my American dimmer switch says to cut the WHITE wire to connect to the dimmer and the other wire remains uncut. Which one would be considered the white or hot wire? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Judy.

Sponsored Links
I take it you are in America (you posted in UK electrics) the brown is what you would call the hot wire, but what type of lamp fitting does it have as here in the uk we prefer bayonet cap where as in America is is usually eddison screw not sure if they have many bc lamps over there (could be worng)

your 'hot' is our live which is brown. blue is neutral

It should be also noted that UK outlets are 230v, as opposed to your 110v

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
It should be also noted that UK outlets are 230v, as opposed to your 110v

thats probably why the uk dimmer didnt work

Thanks to all of you who replied. I am going to offer a little more info in hopes that one of you might reply again. The floor lamp has about 11 candleabra sockets, which I used an american converter so that my candleabra bulbs would work. When the lamp did not work, I removed the dimmer switch and added a plug, which made the lamp work. But, now it does not have an on/off switch. So I was going to add an American dimmer. A couple of you mentioned the difference in the volts. Would this make a difference in using this dimmer? Being that I know that the "brown" wire is the hot wire, I believe I will try wiring the dimmer using the brown as my white. Just don't want to shock myself. Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Judy

Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions regarding using English wiring with American hardware. I was able to wire the dimmer switch to my lamp and it works! I didn't even shock myself! Thanks again. Cheers, Judy

Sponsored Links
Back