Unpatterned anaglypta?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just stripped the paper in my room, and the walls aren't very smooth at all. Crack galore.

So went to get some anaglypta today, and all we could find was patterned stuff. I just want plain walls I can paint over. Is there a cheap way round plastering the walls to make them look smooth?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Easiest way is to rub and fill, rub and fill, then size the walls and use good quality lining paper, 800-1000 grade cross lined (sideways) and emulsion paint over.

Dazza, you can get anaglypta paper which doesn't have a strong textured surface but is more like lining paper, designed to hide surface imperfections. The advantage of this paper is that unlike normal lining paper, you paste the wall instead. This does away with the stretching and sometimes awkward handling that you get with lining paper. Have a look in your nearest Homebase and you'll find it with the anagypta.
Or try this website: http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/m/MAVNWLPT/

Sponsored Links
It's probably cheaper in Homebase. (I hope so, because I'm thinking of buying some!). I just gave you that URL so you could see what the stuff was like. I've used pulp lining paper before and it's not the easiest of papers to work with. I guess it depends on your own expertise, level of skill, etc.

Just bought a roll of lining paper to try - £2.49 a roll. Got the thickest stuff, 1400.

Makes sense, Dazza. I'll be particularly interested to know how you get on painting over the top of it. We had a thread a while back about this (which I now can't find) and how to prevent the paper bubbling up under the wet emulsion. Be sure to come back and let us know, plus any tips you have for other non-professionals. :)

DazzaMc said:
Just bought a roll of lining paper to try - £2.49 a roll. Got the thickest stuff, 1400.

Excellent stuff, I use it all the time, but remember, as thick as it is, you still need to do your prep and making good, as somethings will still show through.

Dont forget to soak each length for approx 8 mins, and really paste each length well.

DazzaMc said:

Theres a 1700 grade out now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back