Unstable system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found this bit while looking for a plumbing problem but hoped you might be able to help with something else.

The past couple of weeks my computer has just been going blank sometimes with a Blue Screen somtimes just dead usu while on internet. I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled everything but its still doing it.

I know you will need more info to help but I thought I'd better find out whether this is a hardware or software issue first and at least go to the right place first off.

Sponsored Links
TY for replying but page refers to a different operating system, I run windows 98se on my system.

only a guess, but since you have formated your hd, reinstalled, it is probaly loose connection/ mobo fault. get new mobo and faster cpu, more fun

Sponsored Links
MOBO, motherboard, seems a bit drastic without any diagnosis in my opinion ! Have you changed anything on your system lately, like a new printer, new scanner etc.

Eddie M said:
MOBO, motherboard, seems a bit drastic without any diagnosis in my opinion ! Have you changed anything on your system lately, like a new printer, new scanner etc.

I agree, far too drastic. I would be inclined to change the memory, make sure you get a good brand, first. Remove all peripherals and boot into safe mode. Then see if the system is stable. If it is then then you can track down what is causing the crash, be it software or hardware.
If the system is still unstable it is more likely to be hardware so then you can think about mobos and processors.

My first step would be to ensure you have the latest updates from Microsofts website.

I think Studders is right here
I had a similar problem were the virtual memory packed in.
Do you get any error messages at all? or does it just hang up at a start/boot page when you power up?
Have you tried starting up in safeboot as Studders suggested. You may be be able to do a system restore from here.
You could also try a re- formatt again first, you may not have installed all your progs" correctly the last time you did this.
Good luck anyway
Alf

Worth mentioning that Winows 98 SE is now end of life, and out of support :(

Dont shut the gates yet !! Give us just a little more time !!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];LifeAn1

Quote :-
Updated Clarification on the Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Support Extended Announcement
Microsoft is pleased to announce a clarification in our extended security update support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium (Me) Editions forcritical security issues. As part of this extended support, Microsoft will provide information about whether critical issues affect these operating systems. Microsoft will provide security updates on the operating systems that are affected and the severity rating is critical.

Key Dates:

Paid incident support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition (Me) is available through June 30, 2006.
Critical security updates will be provided on the Windows Update site through June 30, 2006.
Customers may request non-critical security fixes for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, and the most current version of their components until June 30, 2006 through typical assisted-support channels.
Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me downloads for existing security issues will continue to be available through regular assisted-support channels at no charge until June 30, 2006.
No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition ended on June 30, 2003.
No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for Windows Me ended on December 31, 2003.
Online self-help support will be available until at least June 30, 2007.

----------------------o0o----------------- ;)

Yeah, it was the no charge bit I was referring to. Which is the only kind of support mere mortals can afford.

Hi thanks for all the tips, I've reformatted again as I remembered that my broadband installer had a bit of an episode whilst trying to install internet explorer 5.5 (ie I told it not to but it did it anyway then crashed trying) I thought this might have caused a problem even after upgrading to ie6.

I have installed all the windows updates that are relevant and am now kind of seeing how it goes.

Fingers crossed!

Sorry - just read the posts through again; how could I tell if system was stable in safe mode? Does this just mean that it doesnt crash. This has been a fairly random problem, it could go for days without happening would I have to use it in safe mode for ages or is there some kind of system check I could run?

Right - so far so good 24 hours and no freezing or crashing.

What it has done though which it did last time and I forgot to mention; is that sometimes after energy saver switches the monitor off when you leave the computer, the screen divides in half and flips round so that the START for the start menu is in the centre/bottom instead of left/bottom. What is doubly weird is that the start menu and the windows still work if I click where they should be. I can get it to flip back if I right click and open up NVIDIA desktop manager, as soon as I do that it goes balck and then comes back as it should.

I would rather be able to get it to stop doing it in the first place though so if anybody has any fresh ideas :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back