Unsure - how to match colour of other pointing and stone

P

Peter Mac

Hi All,

I'm repointing a building currently using a 5 sharp sand / 1 lime putty / 1 or 1 1/2 hydraulic lime - needed for the initial mixture set because of the location.

I'm soon going to be moving onto mortar stone face repairs - as there are some stones and stringing that need repaired.

My questions really are; is this a suitable mix for the resufacing, and how do I actually colour the mix - I can't really change the sand for mixing as it's all the same stuff around here. I've tried throwing the sand on when the mix is green hard - which colours it perfectly, but I don't think it stays on too well. Brushing it in doesn't really work - still too white/gray. A sandstone colour would be ideal.

(Sorry, I should have said that I don't want to use pigment unless forced to out of desperation!)

Thanks very much,

Peter

Sponsored Links
Cheers Nige,

I contacted them to see what they recommended - and a chap said to try a little bit of soil in the mix - I'll see what it's like!

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back