upstairs lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following work on a new bathroom,the bulider has plastered over an old shaver socket, but not before blowing the fuse on the consumer unit for the upstairs lights. We have a consumer unit from the 70\\\'s which has cartridge fuses. Have identified the blown fuse wire and replaced, but lights still do not work. Have switched the cartridge fuse for the upstairs lights with the one for the downstairs lights and the upstairs lights still do not work . Although the downstairs lights will work with the fuse with the replaced fuse wire.

Any ideas on why the upstairs lights still do not work.

Have tried to replace bulb with a new bulb in case the bulb blew.

Exuse the ignorance - very novice DIYer.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
How did you change the wire on a cartridge fuse?

XWYCFL5.JPG

In a holder that looks like this?
XWYC5.JPG

or did you mean a Re-wireable fuse
XWYR5.JPG

;)

How did the builder remove the socket, I hope he didn't just take it away and plaster over the live wires (correct procedure is to disconnect the feed cable at the other end, and cut as much of the redundant cable out as possible, then plaster)

Its possible that the fault current when the builder caused a fault either took out the fuse in an FCU (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_2/CM2365.JPG) that could possibly exist on your lighting circuit, or blew apart a poor connection

Oh and you did replace with the right fusewire didn't you?... white spots = 5 Amp :)

Thanks for the quick reply

It was a rewirable fuse - the 3rd option in your post.

I did use the correct fuse wire.

I was not at home when he took of the old socket & can not get old of him on the phone to see what he did.

Where would I find an FCU in the circuit.

If it blew apart a poor connection, how can I check

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
jemima said:
Where would I find an FCU in the circuit.
If it stopping all the lights working, between the fusebox and the first light on the circuit, as to physically, I don't really know, its actually quite unlikely that there is one, but its possible

If it blew apart a poor connection, how can I check
Many thanks
If you can get into the attic, try and find which light is first on the circuit, and check any connections between the first light and the CU if you can

Its also possible that the shaver socket was the first thing on the circuit, and the circuit is open becuase its been removed, try and get above the place where it was, and see if you can find out how many wires go down to it, changes are, if there are two, you'll need to cut them and join them in a junction box, it could be more difficult if the feed was into the socket from below and went up and continued onto the lighting circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back