Upstairs lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I own a 1973 dormer type semi, had a loft conversion 10 months ago. All my upstairs lights are not working, checked fuse box & fuses, all seem OK. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Breezer,
A couple of months ago my upstairs bedroom light stopped working, it was a loose wire behind the light switch, but that only affected the one light. Where do I start looking?

Thanks.

more info would be useful

have you had ANY work done recently? if so start there

for all the lights not to work it cant be the last one, and it cant be the firts one (since they do not work, it is either just beofre or close to the first one, os in the cu or inbetween both

Sponsored Links
Breezer,
When I had the loft converted, the electrician ran some new cables through to the extension. I think I know where he took the feed from, should I check there? Obviously I'll kill the supply first.

The upstairs landing light works, 2 way switch from down stairs. All other upstairs lights not working, 4 beds & bathroom. All upstairs sockets working.

Thanks.

the upstairs landing light is probably on the upstairs cct, you could try there, but on the other hand you could try anywhere, depends where it is fed from

Breezer,
Thanks again for your help & speedy replies. I'll have a look tomorrow after work.

The one way upstairs landing light switch also works. Excuse my naivety, what does cct stand for?

cct = circuit.
The first place I would look is at the working lights and try to follow the supply cable to the first non-working light and check the cable connections at both ends. (p.s. kill the power before starting work)

Yippy!
After closer inspection, found prob, 5 amp fuse wire blown from sides, old style fuse board.

Had lost, upstairs ceiling lights & 2 down stairs rear ceiling lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back