upstairs radiators cold, downstairs hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a primatic cylinder upstairs and a glow worm boiler downstairs and one water tank in the loft. As far as i am aware it is a single pipe system with the pump on the return. I have drained the system twice but just can't get the upstairs radiators to come on even though the downstairs ones are lovely at hot. As far as i am aware there are no balance valves on the downstairs radiators. I moved into the house last year and 2 radiators did get hot but now none of them do, Help!!

Sponsored Links
vent air. pair of grips on downstairs valves,close one end.close upstairs leaving one open.turn system on.try that first. if it gets hot open another upstairs and turn first off and so on until upstairs rads all hot one by one.then open upstairs one by one.

Primatic cylinder and single pipe system? Add one more thing (saniflow) and cheapest option is to sell the house.

Paul Barker said:
Primatic cylinder and single pipe system? Add one more thing (saniflow) and cheapest option is to sell the house.
:LOL: :LOL: not got a flat roof aswell have you.

Sponsored Links
If u think its a one pipe system ,is the heating circ/ pipe above or below the floor boards up stairs. is any part of the upstairs pipework getting warm .have u got water out of all the air vents. U may have a single check valve on the flow to upstairs to stop gravity circulation on the heating & these can jam shut when systems are drained. If u have one it looks like a bulky 22 compresion coupling with a tiny nut on the side,& should be on the flow to rads off the boiler.

The pipes are below the floor boars upstairs and i can't see the compression coupling. Where would it be?

See if the pump's on max speed, most of them are 3 speed, via lever on the plastic part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back