upvc door jamming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently the front door has begun jamming. I notice it's a lot worse on cold mornings. It's upvc so should not be expanding as it and the frame are not made from wood. All the edges are plastic, but there is a block of metal in the bottom corner of the frame and I think this is what's causing the door to stick. The small metal piece is about 3cm square with a few screws in it. Are these adjustable? what can I do to adjust the door? (obviously I can't get a plane onto it, as I could have done with a wooden door.) The door was removed last year to get a large piece of furniture in. I think there were a few allen key bolts on the hinges and they were removed and then put back. Could that have changed the alignment of the door? If so should I try to adjust the door from there?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
these doors can drop. especially if they are fully glazed and therefore heavy. it depends onthe hinge type how you adjust them.

On mine, there allen key screws on each hinge underneath where the hinge hinges so to speak. they may be covered with a plastic flap. screwing these one way will lift the door and the other will drop it. if you cant adjust it wnough this way, you may need to remove the cover plate from the part of the hinge where it attaches to the door and turn another horizontal allen screw in the top one so that it pulls the hinged side of the door towards the doorframe. this should bring up the opposite corner so it clears the frame.

Its a pain and theres a lot of trial and error and sometimes you screw the screws in what logic dictates is the correct direction and it has the opposite effect.

If I were you, I'd flag down a window installer and bung him a score to come round and do it for you. it will take him 5 mins whereas it might take you 2 hours and you still migt not be able to get it right.

Jim

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back