upvc door wont open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi have a problem with my upvc door. its been locked now i cannot open it, it hasent been used for some years now. never had to use because it on the garage but want to use now after a spat of crime in the area. i have the key and when i turn the key it turns to the point just before it should unlock the door then stops. i can turn the key both ways. ive put WD40 in the key hole but still no luck. ive tried lifting the door when turning still no luck. ive been told that the look may need to be drilled out, if i do drill the barrel will it come out and then unlock the door.

please help

Sponsored Links
can anyone explain to me how to get the barrel out of a locked upvc door that wont open.

Call a locksmith - around £40ish should get it open. You can then determine if its the mechanism or cylinder thats not working correctly.

You could try using a little more force on the key while lifting the handle as far as it will go (use a pair of pliers on the key to get extra leverage).

No point in WD40'ng the key hole, as this is working ok if turning both ways.

Do not drill the door/cylinder if you've no idea how these mechanisms work - it'll end up costing you more than £40 in repairing the door.

If the mechanism isn't hooked, then you may be able to remove the hinge pins from the inside and remove the door from its hinges. These doors are heavy, so you may need some help.

the door isnt hooked, but ive tried knocking the pins out but they move only mm and then stop any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
take the key out, remove the handles, fit a pair of mole grips to the flat part of the barrel make sure they are tight and if you wrench it to the side it will snap,remove the barrel and open the door remove the retaining screw. you can't do it with the handles on and try not to damage the door.

take the old lock with you when you go for a replacement,local window manufacturers are cheaper than the sheds

And when you realise the door is fitted with a cogged cylinder, and you've just sh&gged the mechanism by bending the cylinder - you know who to go after ;)

Or it could be fitted with a break-secure cylinder, leaving you with the cylinder still inside the mechanism......

It's a very generalised statement above, and great care needs to be exercised if you don't want to bend the mechanism. I'd stick with the hinges, or call someone out who can do the job in minutes.

i've used the method stated above dozens of times and never had a problem.but then again ,what do i know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back