UPVC Front door - replacing the lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I'd ask in here how tricky it is to replace a lock in a UPVC front door.

I have replaced these type of locks before but not with this style of door. It not only has the door lock - a Euro cylinder lock - but also handles both sides.

The way it locks is that I lift the handle then I can turn the key to lock the door. When I lift the handle a thick bar comes out to sit in the door frame but there is also a steel frame that runs around the door with lots of little deadlocks that rise up and mate into a steel cage in the door frame. I'm sure this is a fairly common sort of door these days.

I'd like to be able to change the lock but want to check how difficult that would be with this style of door. Is it as straightforward as simply taking one lock out and replacing it with another?

Or would there be lots of adjustments to make with respect to the other parts of the door security so that I can lock the door and unlock it again?

Regards

L.

Sponsored Links
If you've replaced these locks before (Euro Cylinders), then it's exactly the same. The handles and locking mechanism do not alter the replacement process. Lots of threads on this subject if you get stuck.

Handy Hands

Thanks for the reply. I'm just a tad cautious because it is my front door and I don't want to leave myself either without a lock or locked in or out.

In case of emergency, how far are you from Sheffield?

Regards

L.

Chesterfield. Half an hour to most parts of sheffield (most of my regular customers are in the Sheffield area).

If you've removed a Euro Cylinder before, this is no different. Just unscrew and remove the retaining screw in the door edge (in line with the cylinder), and with the key in the cylinder rotate the plug a few degrees past the 6 o'clock position whilst slightly pulling on the key(try both ways as it depends which side of the door you're doing this). When the cam is lined up with the cylinder you will feel the cylinder "give" and out it'll pop.

Make sure you replace the cylinder with the correct size, keeping the face of the cylinder as flush with the handles - at most, no more than a few mm should be showing.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
HandyHands

Thanks for your replies on this topic. Went to one Ironmongers and they
only had 90mm zinc plated and I needed 100mm brass plated. They did
suggest another place over the other side of town but I cruised round
B&Q and found a suitable Eurocylinder from Yale.

On the outside there's about 7mm showing off the handle plate and on the inside about 2mm so I am wondering if that's about right. The 90mm would be about 1mm too short. I think the barrel position was slightly different between the 90 and the 100mm and the 100mm matched up to the old one ok.

Anyhow it works and I think Yale is still a good make(?) so I am happy to have got the job done.

Thanks once again

Regards

L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back