UPVC front door wont dead lock from the inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My front door is a upvc door, the problem im having is using the inside handle ( pushing up ) the dead locks dont seem to work.

I can dead lock the door from the outside no problems, just the inside handle doesnt seem to be doing what it should.

I have attatched a pic of the door and was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to sort it out?

thanks

pic :

Sponsored Links
Does the mechanism have any markings on it - manufacturer name/model? What exactly happens when you lift the inside handle?

Hi

It doesnt have any names on the door, the only thing it does have is :

STV-F 1660 R2M2

this is stamped on the strip which runs up the locking part the door.

As for the handle, when i lift it it does nothing, it lifts but it doesnt pull anything.

Firstly, take the inside handle off by removing the retaining screws on the base plate (hold the outside handle to save it from dropping), and make sure the spindle (square rod) is long enough to go into both the outside and inside handles - could be that it's too short.

Sponsored Links
Ive taken the handle off. The rod ( square ) is in two parts which fit into each other, kind of like a split rod?

Im sure its meant to be like this and the rod is definatly long enough.

I just cant seem to fathom out why it wont lock from the inside, the outside handle when pushed up locks the dead locks fine.

Strange

You've a split spindle mechanism. From the outside, do you need the key to withdraw the latch - ie pushing the handle down withdraws the bolts, but the key must be turned to open the door.

$6,000,000 question, did it ever deadlock from inside?

perhaps its not supposed to (incase of fire?)

If it's what I think - it's a nightlatch mechanism that you can deadlock from the outside, but need the key to withdraw the latch. From the inside the handle withdraws the latch. As you say Breezer, designed for fast/easy exit. Not secure though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back