upvc reg's re fire escape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hI,
Whats the current regs on fire escape windows for first floor upvc windows
We want our top windows to have easy clean hinges and were told they cannot have them as all opening windows must be able to open without easy clean hinges due to fire regs.
Is this correct ?

Sponsored Links
Fire Escape windows must have a clear opening of 450mm and normal hinges tend to swing the casement towards the centre of the opening and are no good. You need something like EasyClean Egress Hinges.
Are they top-hung or side-hung? Im pretty sure all fire escape windows need to be side-hung because there is a danger that top-hung casements will drop on top of you when you try to get out ;)

Is this an ordinary 2-story house? I didn't know you were required to have fire egress windows. Is that new?

I've read the regs and they are very confusing in that they don't really give a definitive answer.

I always advise people to have Fire Escape windows in each of the upstairs "habital" rooms, ie - all bedrooms. This is probably the best thing to do to make sure that windows comply.
Apart from anything else, if you have a fire at night whilst you are in bed, you would want a fire escape in your bedroom wouldn't you?
Bathroom fire escape windows are pointless in my opinion unless there happens to be a garage or other extension below which you can jump onto. Its all common sense really.

As far as openings are concerned the casement must give a clear opening of at least 450mm wide with an overall opening area of 0.33m2 (last time I checked) ;)

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Is this an ordinary 2-story house? I didn't know you were required to have fire egress windows. Is that new?

The Regs require at least 1 fire egress window in a habitable room to satisfy Document B of the Building Regulations. You can still have Easyclean hinges that conform to this regulation. If your supplier cannot fit them, ask why.

Click Here

Thanks for the replies all,
Firstly its a normal 3 bed detached, 10 year old and windows are side openers.
We have had the windows fitted and the only easy clean hinges are the ones in the bathroom and en suite which open without having to click the little catch.
We wanted the type that salem2000 has highlighted.
I am now wiser tho the situation and will have a chat with the guy when he comes to collect his cheque.
Many thanks for your time on this one.
Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back