uPVC window stuck shut on one side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a uPVC double glazed window, hinged at the top, which is locked shut on the bottom right corner. The left side seems able to open.

I put the handle in the unlocked position and took it off, then I was able to pry the window to the left enough to free up the stuck side allowing me to open the window and examine the mechanism.

The lock unit seems to be attached to 2 bars which move in and out of the window frame when the handle turns, and a flat bar which moves straight down into the frame.

I took 2 plastic covers off the bottom side of the window to reveal the 2 sideways-moving bars, and I could see that the left (working) side is properly attached to the lock mechanism, while the right (stuck) side was not attached. This means that turning the handle pushes the bar out OK, but since it's not attached it doesn't pull it back in, leading to the stuck window.

For now I've just taken the right hand bar out and now I can at least open and close the window, but of course it is not as secure.

Any advice on how I can fix this and where to get the parts? I couldn't see how the bar attached to the lock mechanism - there were no screws that I could see, so I'm not sure how to re-attach it.

I can take photos if any of this is unclear.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
No problem.

After removing the handle and bottom trim and popping the mechanism out:

The mechanism with the attached left bar - right side not attached!

Close up of the mechanism:

Close up of how the left bar is attached:

Close up of how the right bar is not attached!

The hole that recieves that bar:

If you need anything else let me know and I'll get snapping.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yep that looks like it. For that price I won't even bother trying to fix it, I'll just get a replacement.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back