Urgent query re: fire regulations and open staircases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I've found the forums a huge help before when I was trying to buy a house but have a new problem.

Have had an offer accepted on a house I really like, 100 year old terrace, lovely open plan reception/dining room with a staircase leading directly up from the living area.

Trouble is, it also has a large loft conversion and I remembered from another house I viewed that where there's a third level, the main staircase should be fully enclosed to allow escape route in the event of a fire. When I asked the vendors, they admitted that their builder had created a stud wall 'hallway/corridor' from the front door that enclosed the staircase, got Building Regs completion cerficate, and then immediately demolished it - because this corridor eats considerably into the space in the living room/is generally a nasty eyesore.

So, if I want to buy the house, I have two choices: feign ignorance (but my bank valuation may flag it up - plus might this non-compliance mean my house insurance might be invalid if there was a fire AND it may cause aq problem when I sell) OR have them reinstate it/reinstate it myself and therefore affect the appeal of the house.

If it was an upstairs room affected I wouldn't mind, but this would definitely make the entrance much less inviting.

Is there another way round it ie sprinklers or an emergency staircase into the garden? And how much might a wall cost (it's about 10 feet from the front door to the bottom of the stairs, plus the handrail/balustrade would also need boxing in I guess).

I need to make a decision very soon so would really appreciate any comments.

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
its obviously there (well not at the moment!) for a reason, however its a fairly common practice by householders to remove something they dont like once theyve got the cerificate. Its down to you as to weather you want it there or want to take the risk in the event of a fire. If you still want to but the house why not speak to the sellers and say that if it gets picked up on the survey you want it reinstated or say that you want to put it back so get them to knock the price down a little to reflect it.

you can fit a sprinkler system I have just done such a job you will need to provide a sprinkler head on your ground to first floorstairway and in any rooms that form the ground floor escape route or yes you could provide an alternate escape route. Bearin mind though that floors/ceilings will have to be removed and you may have a n issue with stable water pressure, my recent customer has had to have a seperate incoming main fitted to supply the sprinkler.
As this build has been signed off by BC I doubt your lenders will flag it up but its all down to your personal feelings on the fire safety implications

Sponsored Links
As previous answers, if it doesn't comply then get the survey done, and ask the surveyor to point it out, this you can use as ammo for negotiating a discount.
If they want a quick sale then they won't want the hassle of builders in to re-instate the wall and will probably agree to a compromise in your favour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back