US laminate trimmer opinion wanted, pleeeeese

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20781&item=4355252893&rd=1

I need a couple of laminate trimmers. The best ones seem to be Makita at about £130 each. I've spotted the above trimmer on Ebay in the States at £7 each. He reckons he's sold 1800 of them and only had 3 back. This one on Ebay link looks virtually identical to the Makita one.

Any thoughts anyone? Its about $40 to ship to UK, so still dirt cheap.

Sold as 110V = Does this mean this US tool will run on UK 110V????

Sorry for the dumb questions! Hope someone can help...............

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
just got to point out a mistake on that thread though

david and julie wrote "Breezer is correct about everything he says."

now we all know thats not quite true dont we boys and girls!!!!!1 :LOL:

Breezer is talking a load of crap.

U.S. power tools work fine off U.K. site transformers.

How do I know this? I work in the trade and have used U.S. power tools for more years than I care to remember.

All this talk about 55V-0V-55V is irrelevant. The tool receives 110 volts from the transformer. A short down to earth gives the 55V he's wittering on about.

As for the frequency, he obviously doesn't know the difference between a synchronous or asynchronous electric motor which virtually all power tools have where the speed of the motor is not affected by the frequency.

Look at the plates on U.K. tools and most are marked 50/60Hz which sort of prooves he point.

10 volts difference? No problem. Do you suppose that if you have your power tool on a 50 yard extension then you would get the same voltage as at the outlet?

As for the Makita for £7 then it's probably a real poor copy My colleague bought a similar planer for a quid........useless. Still the plug was worth a £1 I suppose

Ace

i am not "talking rubbish" everything i have said is true.

yes i did paint a rather "bleak picture" but if i didnt and some one got a tool and it didnt work, i would be doing them an injustice.

also as i have said (which you havent) the import costs are some times too much which again people do not realise, so again i felt i should point these things out.

I was reading on another forum about some one who ordered some "bits" for $7,From the USA so far it has cost £27 to get them

As far as the electrical thing goes you are talking absolute b******s

If you import something from the U.S. then you just pay the V.A.T. and import duty to the shipper. DEAD EASY!

Even shipped over a Ford 302 V8 and transmission a few years back and just paid the duty to the shipping agent NO PROBLEM

How do I know this? Because I do it all the time. Why do I do this? Because I save a packet.

E.G. Bostitch finish nailer. U.K. price over £400

U.S. price $189 SHIPPED to the U.K. for £128 + £30 making a grand total of £158 or a saving of over £242

ace said:
As far as the electrical thing goes you are talking absolute b******s

If you import something from the U.S. then you just pay the V.A.T. and import duty to the shipper. DEAD EASY!

i disagree on both counts

in theory yes you should pay the shipping co, but i have had several instances where i get a bill in after i have paid for something but before i can have the goods.

you have to consider that people are buying tools from other websites, / ebay the selling person does not know of our import duty, they check shipping price and charge you just that.

although expensive DHL seem to be very good.

You should also think about poor joe public who has never imported something before, at least my post advises they will probably get a bigger bill than expected, yours make it look all rosey which it isnt.

as for the electrical will will just have to agree to disagree, since to argue will get neither of us anywhere

Does poor Joe public need telling they need to pay import duty when they import something? I think you are insulting their intelligence.

Nobody is denying there is tax to pay on imports. Just work on 30% and see if the figures stack up.

I've had plenty of smaller items straight through the letterbox with nothing extra to pay.

Electrics? I've had an American worm drive saw for over ten years and it's really had some hammer with no problems at all.

Read this - http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000723.html

and then see how WRONG you are

Unlike you, I don't post anything unless I KNOW I'm RIGHT!

Ace

heeelllooo ace and welcome :D :D

just had a look at you linked posting very informative and i have learnt a thing or two

now from what i read on this and the other thread the comments only seem to be very well informed oppinions now i am not taking sides in this discution because most off it zziipps strait over my head

now i realise you disagree with beezer all i was wondering was why you feel so strong as to try undermine him rather than just put an alternative point of veiw and allow us to make our own mindes up
anyway once again welcome :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back