USB cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody tell me which is the maximun size for an USB cable?

Sponsored Links
i think its something like 5 meters but i don't remeber for sure.

I think the spec says 5 metres, but it depends on traffic density. Low density devices, such as mice and keyboards can have long cables, where high density kit, such as printers and scanners work best on shorter cables.

You can also use repeaters

Sponsored Links
usb has three different speeds.

low speed (about 1 megabit iirc)
full speed (about 12 megabit)
high speed (usb 2.0 only dunno exactly how fast off hand)

mice keyboards etc tend to be low speed devices. printers scanners hubs drives etc will be full speed or high speed devices. high speed devices will fall back to full speed if plugged into a usb 1.1 port or hub.

high speed devices will fall back to full speed if plugged into a usb 1.1 port

i dunno if the official specs allow longer cables for low speed devices but it would seem logical that low speed devices would be more tolarant of cable quality issues.

plugwash said:
usb has three different speeds.

low speed (about 1 megabit iirc)
full speed (about 12 megabit)
high speed (usb 2.0 only dunno exactly how fast off hand)

It's 480 Mb/sec - forty times faster than "Full Speed". Don't you just love marketing hype?

Cheers,

Howard

Hi,

The USB 1.0 Spec contains a cable length limit of 5 meters, a cable delay spec of 30ns and a supply voltage minimum at any USB socket of 4.4 volts.
Chapter 7 of the spec covers the electrical specifications of the USB signals and limits all cables of any length to 30ns prop delay. Since cable varies from 3 to 6 ns per meter prop delay the maximum cable length can be calculated to be 5 meters.

This is still true for USB2.0. Though most cheaper peripherals would not work at this length due to the timing issues. You can get A-A Active Extension cables that help slightly, but would only really get you to 5m.

If you need to go beyond 5m (WHY???), then the only practical solution is to employ the use of a separately powered USB hub in the middle of 2 5m cables (but expect the occaisional problem due to both noise and attenuation at that distance).

Cheers
Merv

If you use a powered hub to extend the length of USB you shouldn't get any noise or attenuation problems.

Porker said:
If you use a powered hub to extend the length of USB you shouldn't get any noise or attenuation problems.

That would depend on cable, connection and hub quality. There's some real tacky kit out there.

Porker said:

Unfortunately, it's the very fact that it IS a powered hub that causes the noise on the cheaper kit. The addition of extra connections on the route is what causes the attenuation, every shift from one medium to another causes a noticable drop in signal strength. Remember the 5-3-2 rule for extending ethernet! same principle.

Merv

Sponsored Links
Back