Use New or Existing Waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to put a basin into my toilet. The toilet is situated in the same room as the main waste pipe.

Next to the toilet is the bathroom which has a sink & bath. Both of these go into a single waste pipe which runs down through the floor and then along the ceiling below (boxed in). This runs directly under the toilet and where I am looking to put the basin.

Is it best to try and tap into the existing waste pipe for the basin (will be very small so minimal use) or should I just run a new waste pipe and box it in along the bottom of the floor?

Sponsored Links
main waste pipe dont understand you for sure but if this is what we call the "soil stack" you can tap straight into this using a "strap on boss" there are regs with regard to how close into the stack you can be to wc inlet of top of my head you dont wont to be in the area 200mm below a wc inlet unlikely in this case otherwise you might get a nasty flow back up your basin outlet

Sorry yeah I meant the Soil stack. Looking at it there appears to be a bit on it already to attach a pipe to (I will take a picture). I am pretty sure that it enters the stack just above the toilet waste part.

This is the soil pipe I was looking to attach to. You can see what looks like a section to join into (never done soil plumbing) but as you can see to the left of it is the main toilet waste entry into the stack. Would you connect it there or am I going to have to connect it higher above the toilet entry?

SoilPipe.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think you bean the round boss, about 60mm diameter? Yes that's for connecting a waste pipe with the appropriate adapter. Get the make off it, or measure carefully before visitig the pipe boutique.

It looks like you can just about see a cap on the top of the soil pipe inside the boxing. That is one cr*ppy bit of plumbing if so. Make sure the trap on your new basin is a Vented type, which the one on the existing basin should also be, probably. Avoids water in the traps being "pulled" by a piston of waste going down the pipes.

Thanks for the help so far. Am i right in thinking you just put a Boss adapter to 32mm pipe (think thats the right size for basin waste) to that bit on the stack i.e. something like this

boss.jpg

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/page...FQ_+push+fit+boss+adaptor compression&cid=880

How do you go about putting a hole in the middle of the part on the stack - just drill it with a circular saw? Also how do you then bond the two parts together, something like a 2 part adhesive compound?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back