Using expanding filler Foam.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hole in a partition wall, where I cut space for pipework leading to a shower. The hole is about 2" deep and about 6" by 3ft. It will be difficult to repair with plaster board as there dosn't seem to be anything to fix the plasterboard to! The wall is filled with a kind of cardboard grid, but no wood.

I was wondering if I could use the expanding foam that comes in spray form.

1) Can I just spray onto pipe work direct (copper and speedfit), or should I protect/cover them first?

2) What sort of area is covered by the standard spray can size?

Regards

Wolfboy

Sponsored Links
I would always recommend sleeving pipework when travelling through any kind of wall as it gives peace of mind.

I'd also recommend using gloves when using the foam as it's a pain to get off your skin.

It's good stuff but really messy. If you're just doing the one penetration then one can will be plenty. If you can get a can that comes with a couple of nozzles as these usually block up with the foam that's left in them.

You could fix some battens that you can fix plasterboard to, and if you want to, use expanding foam to give it overall support and rigidity. You could squirt it through holes in the board and fill the holes later.

I would probably sleeve the pipes with insulation just in case one day someone needs to get at them. If they are embedded in expanding foam it will be very hard.

if the cardboard honey comb backing is still there then cut a slice of plasterboard and dab it back into place with dry wall adhesive.

Sponsored Links
The plaster board at the back is only 9.5mm, so it will be difficult to fix batons without coming through the other side of the wall. I'm also limited for space as the gap is only just wider then the two pipes.

I will cover the pipes and try the squirty stuff.

Thanks for your help guys.

Wolfboy

..erm..hello. squirty stuff?

beleive it or not plaster products work very well with,..er.. plaster products. forget foam filling use good ole gypsum. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back