Using inaccessible junction boxes on lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under current Part P regulations I am confused as to the use of junction boxes on lighting circuits when said boxes remain in joist voids and are therefore technically inaccessible. Can they still be used and if not what are the alternatives. The alteration I have in mind cannot use existing pendant loop in system.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered looping into the switches?

If they are not accessable then use crimp connections instead of junction boxes. these I belive are fine to be left under floor boards etc...

Sponsored Links
I would totally disagree with crimping under boards!

Very bad practice as they can come apart quite easyly!

im sure other people will back me on this one.

A properly fitted crimp will not pull off or work loose.

A crimped joint covered with heatshrink is classed as a permanent joint, and therefor does not need to be accesible.

You must apply the crimps with a calibrated ratchet crimper, NOT one of those horrid 'squeeze and hope' car type crimpers.

Understood but the thing is when people now will be crimping under floorboards for a ring and leaveing the cable dangling!

i would use a JB but thats my personnal opion,but respect your view.

and i know crimps are known as a permanant joint. ;)

mst said:
Understood but the thing is when people now will be crimping under floorboards for a ring and leaveing the cable dangling!

i would use a JB but thats my personnal opion,but respect your view.

and i know crimps are known as a permanant joint. ;)

Crimps are only 99.9% permanent when the right tools is used. They are about 10% permanent when pair of pliers is used. How many DIYers have the correct crimping tool and the right type of crimps.

Faced with a similar problem the use of a double dry liner box with the joints in it and a blank face plate provides a not too obvious but accesible junction box.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back