Using LED batten as a junction box

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by OldKettle, 10 Aug 2021.

1. OldKettle

OldKettle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I'm in the process of replacing an old batten light with an integrated LED one.

When I opened up the original, I found that all of the cable junctions were contained within the batten body, rather than in the ceiling with a single cable dropping down.

I think that part of the reason that it was done that way, was that there was also a spur out to a security light, which I have now disconnected.

Rather than moving the junctions into box above the ceiling I have initially just wired it exactly as before, inside the new batten.

I am considering taking the time to move the junction up into the ceiling, but I wonder if there is much to be gained from that.

I wonder if keeping the junctions inside the batten will make them easier to access, more protected from dust, and maybe better for heat dissipation (batten has a metal body).

However, I'd appreciate the thoughts of you properly experienced folk.

I added a couple of pictures below. This is not the final job, as I need to do some more work, including the addition of earth sleeving (earths had been twisted together in original install), and trimming the cable to the LED connector block, but I hope they show the basic situation and dimensions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Aug 2021
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. 333rocky333

333rocky333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would say that is the preferred way, why would you want them in the ceiling, your unlikely to find suitable containment to go in the Ceiling through a hole that could get covered by the fitting body.

I personally would have made a round hole and fitted a bush and locknut to protect the cables where they enter.
    Hard to tell what you have done.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. OldKettle

OldKettle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. I wondered if that might be the case.

I didn't mention that this is in a single storey outbuilding, which also means that there is no above ceiling access so, yes, I would have to have made a fair sized hole in the ceiling. In the past I have always put such cabling above the ceiling, but have always had access from above.

The cables were already through the ceiling, so I left the hole there as it was, and just pulled them through the new fitting out, it does have some protection on the batten and it was already so tight a fit for all four cables that I wouldn't have been able to add any further protection.