using rubber sheathed cables outside??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello chaps
im far from professional level here and am curious about something.
I was talking to an old school spark today who mentioned that an alternative to using pvc sheathed cables outdoors for PIR security lights etc would be to use rubber sheathed cables which are able to withstand the effects of sunlight etc. Is this true? He was recommending the following cable ( http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A431793&ts=97918&id=76988# ) for any exierior lighting installs but recommended SWA or conduit for any lengthy runs of cable. By this he meant that if a light was bein connected directly where the cable exits the property, this cable is deemed suitable if there is an exposed cable length of say 10 - 20cm...
somebody enlighten me :eek:

Sponsored Links
Any cable that is exposed to weathering will become vunerable over time.

Heat, sun light / Uv, cold and water are elements that will cause wear.

I would stick to cables designed to cope with these elements. Hi Tuf, Artic, Pyro, SWA etc.

The rubber cable you have linked to doesn't appear to have any external qualities so I wouldn't use it.

Rubber cable belongs in the 1950s. Present day PVC will deteriorate outside mainly due to sunlight. The regs also say that any cable must be protected from mechanical damage. I think plastic conduit looks best.

If there was no alternative but to install cable exposed to the elements then it will have to be Cross linked poly-ethelene, steel wire armoured cable XLPE SWA. This is available everywhere, even B&Q. it is resistant to the environment and its armouring offers excellent mechanical protection.

Electricians guide to the building regs page 68 Under the section Garden lighting and power, sheds and garages, sub heading Fixed cables.

"Cables need to be shielded against prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, particularly grey and white pvc cables. Cables with a black rubber sheath are recommended if direct exposure cannot be avoided. ...................
Black pvc and rubber cables have a reasonable life outdoors."

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
Electricians guide to the building regs page 68 Under the section Garden lighting and power, sheds and garages, sub heading Fixed cables.

"Cables need to be shielded against prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, particularly grey and white pvc cables. Cables with a black rubber sheath are recommended if direct exposure cannot be avoided. ...................
Black pvc and rubber cables have a reasonable life outdoors."

thanks Paul, maybe I under estimated this old skool spark ;)

In general black cables are black because they contain a strong pigment (usually carbon) that prevents the suns effects getting into the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back