Using strongboy or acros or both

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

Ive read and reread the content and posts on this site regarding different ways to support ceilings/upper floors while creating new doorways. However I still have a question of my own for your attention.

I want to put a new doorway between my utility room and garage. The house is modern construction so internal walls downstairs are block and upstairs are all wall board/partitions.

The wall is loadbearing and so I am planning to use acros to support the load. My question is this:-

To use acros in conjunction with strongboy attachments do I need to have acros and strongboys either side of the wall or will using them on just on side be ok. The wall is single thickness.

The other option I have is 2 x acros with suitable planks to hold up the ceiling/joists either side and then to knock through the hole for the lintel and doorway. I will then mortar the top of the lintel and jack it into place with a fifth acro.

Considering the wall doesnt support anything other than floor joists (no brickwork above the wall) could I get away with simply cutting the lintel hole and then jacking this up with strong boys before removing the remainder of the wall.

Thanks for you patience with my noobie questions

Sponsored Links
the last option seems ok, knock outs for openings as small as single doorways often need no propping. we tend to use a masonry drill to weaken the opening, literally making a dot to dot of the apeture then bolstering down the drill holes, comes out a treat and not too mutch dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back