Vaillant Boiler F.28 Ignition Failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have a Vaillant boiler "ecotec plus 837".

Yesterday night it wasn't on. The fault code read "F.28 - ignition failure".
The manual said to restart the boiler.
I did this. The first time the fault came up again very soon.
The second time the fault was gone and we had heat all evening.

This morning the fault is back - F.28 but this time in combination with "F.54" - which the manual tells me is a fault with the gas supply.
I reset the boiler again, and came back to check after 5 minutes.
The fault code had now gone back to just F.28.
I reset it again and now we have heat.

The gas cooker hobs are and have been working fine, and we've had no work done on the pipes, so gas supply seems unlikely to be the issue. Water pressure is fine.

Some time during last week we had a power cut. The boiler has been working fine for 4 or 5 days since though.

I know from the manual F.28 can be a number of things.

If it comes back, is there anything I should try before giving up and calling an engineer?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
We don't advise or give any assistance with gas or combustion related issues here.

I am a little surprised that you are getting that fault code. How often have you had the boiler serviced and how long ago was the last time?

Tony

F.54 indicates its a new generation ecoTEC (introduced June 2012). It will still be under warranty if the first year service has been carried out. I'd get back to the engineer that did that service or Vaillant for a warranty call.

How often have you had the boiler serviced and how long ago was the last time?
It's not even a year old, so never yet been serviced. It will be a year old in January.

Sponsored Links
F.54 indicates its a new generation ecoTEC (introduced June 2012). It will still be under warranty if the first year service has been carried out. I'd get back to the engineer that did that service or Vaillant for a warranty call.
Will do then. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back