Vaillant EcoMax Boiler Whining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a nearly new Vaillant EcoMax PRO 18E condensing boiler. Almost as soon as the weather got cold it has started to whine at first start up in the morning - it echos round the house but is most noisy standing by the flue and sounds like someone running their finger round the rim of a wine glass. It's very annoying and wakes us up every morning!

Any ideas what this could be? Haven't tried to see if it does it with only hot water on (our heating comes on before the hot water). A Vaillant engineer had a look and turned down the boiler output to the point it couldn't heat up the hot water properly or get the house warm very quickly. It's now back to its original setting and the problem has returned.

Sponsored Links
Have exactly the same boiler and the same problem.

The Vaillant engineer I had come and take a look reckoned the powerflush hadn't been done properly and that debris in the system was starting to block the heat exchanger. It too was only several weeks after installation. Had the installer come back and they (reluctantly) did another flush but the guy that did it wasn't happy (and neither was I) that he'd got all the stuff out. Problem was his boss wouldn't let him come back again so I'm stuck with the noise for now.

It's nearly a year on and the noise is worse than ever...

I think this is a common problem with Valliant as I have given them a call and the tech help guy told me the air ratio was wrong Its a common problem I am waiting for a reply for an easy fix from bobw thread below

Sponsored Links
I have the same noise on my Vaillant ecomax pro 18e. Did any of you get yours fixed and what was it that was causing the problem?

Yes, I ended up flushing the system myself as the installer was a muppett and all his boss new how to do was argue. I mean flushing an obviously dirty system through a brand new boiler is pretty damn stupid...

If there's crud in your system it's probably the cause.

I also fitted a Magnaclean after flushing to help protect some more.

I know this is year old thread but......

I've just had a Vaillant 618 fitted and when the boiler fires up theres a loud whining noise comes from the flue. The noise lasts for 15 -30 seconds then fades away...
As the OP said its like a wine glass sound, or someone blowing over the top of a bottle.

Did anyone ever get a successful resolution to this problem?

I don't think its crud in the system, as the gas fitters spend a whole day power flushing it (8 rads on a microbore system) while I watched and a Magnaclean has been fitted to the new system.

We first noticed the noise while the fitters were still here after fitting the boiler but they had never heard this noise before and arranged for Vaillant to come visit, but Vaillant then cancelled the appt and say they are coming in a few days time.

Hi daryll
Very similar to yourself new boiler (418 Eco Plus) on an existing system(very well flushed) but got very load short term whistle this evening when heating fired up. Outside temp was at it's lowest since installation.
Very interested to know if you have found a solution. Vailiant engineer out next Wednesday.
Would welcome your response.
Rgs gh

sounds too me that the C02 mixture is out. boiler needs servicing by someone who knows what they are doing. i suggest finding some one independent off the link and explaining to them over the phone the problem and see if they can help. and yes i know thats an installer list but most of them should be very experienced with the servicing side of things. http://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/find-local-installer/#find-local-installer

Tell your RGI to knock back the co2 to 8.7 or change d0 to 16

He will know what I mean - cannot explain on this side of the forum

Had a valiant group services engineer out yesterday looking at a contols issue and got him to check emissions and watched him adjust co2 mixture to 9%. Which I believe is within limits. The noise was, I am sure, some sort of resonance when boiler was at maximum output.any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Huffers, sorry I never got back to this...

Unfortunately it was fixed while I was at work, so I never got to ask what the exact problem was, but my wife said he mentioned "mixture".... so I'd guess it was the same as your solution..

Regards,

Daryll.

Cheers guys and thanks for the replies. I will pass on the suggestions when the valiant man turns up on Wednesday. I will follow up after visit.
Thanks

its always thte 18kw that do it. Get the co2 ratio dropped down to 8.2% its outside MI limits but absolutely fine. Absolutley essential it is matche don hi and lo as it tends to make the noise at around 60% modulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back