Vaillant VCW GB 242 EH / VCW GB 282 EH Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into my new house with a Vaillant VCW GB 242 EH / VCW GB 282 EH Combi Boiler fitted.

The hot water works fine, however the central heating dosen't. I think the problem is that the pressure is showing 0, where it should be about 0.7 to 1 bar...
:rolleyes:
I'm novice to the whole DIY thing, but is it an easy task to fill the heating system upto the correct pressure?? I have instructions for the boiler, but they state they should be used by a qualified fitted.

:oops:

Sponsored Links
Hi Senter,

I'm no expert but I have the same boiler. If you check the instructions, you should find there are 5 pipes coming into the boiler, 2 for the central heating (in and out), 1 for the gas, 1 for hot water out and a cold water feed pipe. If you follow this cold water feed pipe along it's path, there should be a shut off valve which will be in the closed position. If you open it, this will start to fill the system. You should check that all bleed valves on radiators are closed before you do this.

Just be sure to stop filling the system when it reaches the right pressure. ;)

You make it sound so easy...

Have you done this to your boiler then??

Will I need to bleed any of the radiators afterwards, or does it automatically let out the air as the system fills?

The pressure release valve on my boiler got stuck in an open position so as soon as I would fill the boiler, the pressure would begin to drop to zero so I had to constantly keep filling it until I managed to replace the pressure release valve.

Once you've done it, you'll find that there is air in your rads (the bottom of the rad will be hotter than the top). To get rid of the air, turn on the central heating system and bleed each rad starting from downstairs (air will tend to end up in the upstairs rads) until you start to see water coming out (i.e. all the air has been expelled) of each rad's bleed valve. Then you'll find that the pressure has dropped a little and you'll need to top it up again!

Like I said I'm no expert and I managed to do this so it can't be that difficult! Like so many other things, once you've done it, it is pretty straightforward if you have to do it again!

Sponsored Links
:D Worked a treat!! ~You're a star...

As you said, some of the radiators now have air in them (i.e. cold at the top). Just need to go and buy a radiator key now! ;)

Thanks again, saved me god knows how much, calling someone out to do a 2 minute job! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back