Vaillant VCW - random shut-off + internal flue question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
** Vaillant VCW Gas, internally flued, approx 20 years old **

We've recently had it serviced, including having the heat exchanger fins removed & washed clean of debris. A new thermocoupler was installed too. It then worked fine for approx 3 weeks.

Now it just shuts itself off, including the pilot. Sometimes this takes an hour to happen after firing up, sometimes within seconds of firing up.

This problem happpens 70% of the time. If there is any pattern, the morning cycle (HW only for an hour) runs just fine but when the CH comes on, clunk, off it all goes. You can relight the pilot just fine but, if either CH or HW is on, clunk off it goes within 30 seconds of it firing up.

I noted a couple of posts here on either checking pushing the reset button (no difference) OR a microswitch behind the red button (not willing to take it apart) OR a blockage or misfunctioning valve slowing the flow, thus overheating the water (wouldn't know where to start, though I do note the rads get very hot when working so I don't think sludge is the answer)

Any thoughts before I spend yet more money (sigh ...) on a service call ? Is there anything I can check ?

Also - one for the legal experts - this boiler is 20 years old. It is internally flued to a large chimney stack & is well-aired. Is it true that you can no longer have internally flued boilers, even to a chimney ? It worries me that if this model cannot be fixed, I am up for £1000s to replace not only the boiler but re-plumb everything to an outside wall.

TIA - David

Sponsored Links
INTERNALLY FLUEd I assume u mean open flued which is no longer allowed as condensing boilers cannot work on this type of flue and you now have to fit condensing boilers. The flue can be run to an outside wall or vertically from some distance (20meters is possible ) sothe new boiler doent need to be on an outside wall

lor said:
INTERNALLY FLUEd I assume u mean open flued which is no longer allowed as condensing boilers cannot work on this type of flue and you now have to fit condensing boilers. The flue can be run to an outside wall or vertically from some distance (20meters is possible ) sothe new boiler doent need to be on an outside wall

Thanks for the reply. So, to be sure, only condensing boilers can be purchased now AND they can have up to 20m flues ?

So, I could replace it in the current location, inside an old cooking chimney area with up to a 20m flue.

Can you tell me - what sort of boiler is this one ?
http://www.vaillant.co.uk/Home/Prod...t/produkt_vaillant/ecoTEC_plus_open_vent.html

Thanks in advance - David

Sponsored Links
lor said:

you need to contact beeston bonny lad

cos they have been building open flued "steamers" for years :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back