Varilight Dimmer rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got hold of this Varilight Dimmer switch and want it to control GU10 mains 50W downlights. Dimmer rated at 400W max

I have been told by an electrician I need to halve the max rating when using mains halogen. So I can only have a load of 200W (4 x 50w) max on this dimmer. I need 6 lights.

The instructions say the dimmer is suitable for GU10 downlights up to max rating on back of switch; 400W (8 x 50W).

Now which one do I go by?

Sponsored Links
since the dimmer says it can then go by the dimmer instructions.

your friend is also right, but what he says applies to most dimmers, the one you have is one of the few that can dim gu10's to the stated load

I've always been lead to believe that a "normal" dimmer will control halogens up to 2/3 of rated draw for filament type bulbs.
N.B. Running 5 x 50w gu10s off a 400w rated dimmer here no probs.

There are probably many rules-of-thumb. Best bet is to follow what the manufacturer says, and in this day and age, if the specs of the dimmer don't mention LV halogens or ELV transformers, pick a different one..

Sponsored Links
I will go with what the manufacture say's, Thanks for all your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back