Varnishing stair treads and risers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have moved into a new property (1960 build). the stairs are in good condition. Currently have carpet runner on, which I want to get rid off and varnish the treads and risers. Would like a low sheen varnish finish, which would be better matt or satinwood? I'll be putting sisal stair mats on the treads so slipping shouldn't be an issue. Also tips on technique would be helpful

thanks rob

Sponsored Links
If your carpeting the treads why do you want to varnish them?

Neither of the varnishes you mentioned are particulary durable when it comes to feet etc you may need to think about diamond glaze or bourne seal

well the tread mats i have in mind do not cover the whole tread so the bare areas will need some protective layer. Take the point about diamond seal - thought of using that for the floorboards upstairs which are in good condition.

robdec said:
well the tread mats i have in mind do not cover the whole tread so the bare areas will need some protective layer. Take the point about diamond seal - thought of using that for the floorboards upstairs which are in good condition.

Bear in mind though...water based varnishes wont darken the wood and bring out the colour as much as oil based

When you do it varnish every other tread first or of your covering them up anyway...just varnish half of each stir...that way youl still be able to go up and down the stairs.

Sponsored Links
robdec said:
thanks for the tip zampa - the mats are semi circular so do i need to do anything extra?

I wouldnt have thought so..just make sure you fix em down well

Where in W/Glam?..thats where I work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back