vaulted ceiling in new build bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excuse my ignorance of terms......

On a square bungalow, with a 30 deg pitched roof, I am looking to have the front two main rooms with vaulted ceilings, including velux windows.

Normally the roof trusses have cross members resting on the walls of the bungalow, forming a triangle supporting the roof. As I would want to remove these cross members to open up the ceilings to a height of approx 12', would it

a) be possible to put shorter cross members higher up

b) use a 30' x 40' (size of bungalow) square steel frame around the top of walls of the bungalow, and use steel trusses welded to this, which should be sufficient to support the roof without the need for crossmembers.

Any other suggestions welcome!!

I accept that I will need to use a structual engineer to finalise the exact detail.....

Thanks.....

Sponsored Links
This sounds similar to an extension I build 2 1/2 years ago. The missus decided she wanted a vaulted ceiling in the main reception, and as the extension was 3/4 height of the house a 2nd floor wasn't viable.

The local planning officer was pretty good, a little self important, but I followed his advice to use a 8 inch steel as the main ridge support. This allowed me to move the rafters to within a metre of the top. I then board this with plaster board. It does look pretty good although access for internal decoration is a pain.

The roof load was calculated to be the most in the farthest corner from the main house so I made sure that part was safe by nailing 8 X 1 metre straps on that corner plate fixing it to the wall.

The velux was easy although two roof and one ridge ventilation tiles were tiresome.

Goforit

Tec

M8 who`se a builder just done one with 2 steel columns supporting a steel across the top -under the ridge -all open with big chimney ,triangular windows in gable etc. Looks the dogs .....involved str.eng. of course , but Wealden Council were happy ........and if they ok it , any council should ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back