vauxhall cavalier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a k reg vauxhall cavalier LS now i took it for MOT yesterday and it flew through no problems at all ,,the thing is if i am ticking over for ages i have noticed today that my fan doesn't come on ,,,however the fan has been tested and does work + the temp gauge on the dash also works fine so why is it that the fan doesnt come in to action when it starts to get hot ,,,i'm not well up on vauxhalls do they have a sender unit and if so were is it ? or what else could the problem be ..thanks

Sponsored Links
perhaps its not hot enough? and if it aint broke dont fix it

When you say "starts to get hot", how hot are we talking? The normal running temperature of an engine is 90 degrees.

It might be a characteristic of Vauxhalls?

I have a Y-reg Astra and the only time I remember the fan coming on was when I was sitting in a traffic jam for half an hour, crawling, it was 35 degrees in the shade. I got to a bit where the lane for my direction was clear so accelerated and saw the temperature rise up to nearly 100 for a second (never seen a gauge move that quick!). I then stopped for more traffic and the fan was on. It is a Mk4 and has quite an old engine design.

Sponsored Links
I have recently traded in my Cav and was very sad to see it go, but had a long drawn out problem with the cooling fan.
Firstly, Cav's generally seem to run fairly hot, of the 5 Cav's that various friends have had all soon got hot when stood in traffic etc and fans came on relatively quickly, just after the 90oC mark if i remember correctly. If yours doesn't then you may well have a problem.
The fan on my Cav stopped working via the normal route (i.e. temp sender) though still worked if tested directly off the battery. The sender unit was suspect (plugs into the radiator) and that was changed and all seemed fine for a while till it stopped working again.
I didn't manage to get it fixed for a while and thought I was containing the problem by using the heater on high temp and top speed and thus keeping the engine temp low - BIG MISTAKE!
Turned out that the temp gauge was also faulty (reading low), engine was getting red hot and ended up distorting the engine block and causing the head gasket to go and untold damage resulting in a new engine being required :cry:
New engine seemed to cure the problem though!
Moral: Learn from my mistake and get it down to the garage!

Back