Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 N reg Very heavy steering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody, I have a Vauxhall corsa 1.2 N reg with no power steering and I wondered if anyone knew why my steering is so very heavy, I have big problems in multi-storey car parks. Can anyone give me any ideas. Thanks Kitty101

Sponsored Links
That was quick, the tyre pressures are Ok and yes it is very bad at low speed. thanks kitty101

Sponsored Links
Do you have standard wheels and tyres or Alloys and big fat Tyres?

Standard tyre is 165/70R13. Wider tyres will be harder to turn.

Corsa's without PS are really heavy to steer. Could be worn steering rack I guess too

Has it got worse, or always been like it?

cheers

CJ

Thanks for your reply, the car is standard in all respects, and has only done 37000 miles. The steering seems to be getting heavier, or i'm getting weaker.
thanks kitty101
PS I ain't no chavette

In that case, be worth getting it checked out.

Could be a steering rack problem, or if front suspension arm bushes are worn could put more load onto front tyres. Steering column upper bearing sometimes needed replacing on Pre-99 corsa's, but that usually showed up as excess movement at steering wheel.

Are the tyres wearing normally, ie no bald areas on inner or outer of tyre.

The Vauxhall dealership I used to work at had an old Corsa van (1996) and the steering on that was so heavy, even a brute like me didnt like driving it.

cheers

CJ

thanks CJ, the tyres are wearing OK, once the car is above 10-15 mph then the steering is not too bad. There is no play at the steering wheel.
regards kitty101

Sponsored Links
Back