Vauxhall Zafira '02 making high pitched squealing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Vauxhall Zafira has started to make a really loud, high pitched suealing noise. It initially sounded like the fan belt was slipping but I don't think it is this as I think it may be coming from the rear of the vehicle.

It (the squealing) isn't continuous but usually occurs when I go above 50mph or when the car is at a crawling speed. Could it be worn or loose wheel bearings ? Can someone please advise as the noise is sending me, the wife and kids mad ? :cry:

Sponsored Links
zafira's have problems with sticking rear brake pads could be due to: worn pads,incorrectly adjusted hand brake, or a seized brake caliper. best bet is to take it to your local vauxhall dealer because if it is still under warranty and if the calipers are faulty they sould be changed free of charge. or if yours has rear brake shoes they may just need deglazing

Thanks, Strider. I suspect it could be the rear brake pads as you said. I read the MOT report for it (first one this year) and it said the rear pads are a bit worn and they 'advise' replacement for them.

I'll get the rear brakes checked out at my local garage - (unfortunately) the warranty has now expired so I'll have to fork out for new pads. Any ideas how much I may be looking at paying for them/fitting ? :)

It shouldn't be too costly so long as you keep well clear of Hal***ds and Q**ck F*t.
johnwr

Sponsored Links
John, do you mean I shouldn't buy the pads from any of those two or, get then fitted by either of them ?

Both, they charge far too much. If you intend to fit them yourself go to a good motor factor or the main dealer. If you us your local garage then you are in is hands. I have just looked in the Vauxhall trade club book and rear pads are £21.35+vat and if it has drum brakes the shoes are £26.80+vat, these are for genuine vaxhall parts. You may be able to buy cheaper pads but some times it's a false saving. Hope this helps. johnwr

Thanks for your replies, John. I'll probably buy the parts myself and ask my local garage guys if they will fit them for me. Hopefully this will solve the problems with the squealing noise.

I'll keep you posted on matters.

claudeballs

One thing to consider is that you need a wind back tool for the rear calipers ( if it has discs fitted)

You will find two holes in the piston that lugs on the tool fit into. You then rotate the tool clockwise to wind back the piston.

I recomend you fit genuine pads as these will come with new stainless steel guides ( If lucas type ) and these are best replaced while doing the pads. The earlier calipers were BOSCH and these were replaced under warranty with the better lucas type.

If your vehicle isnt under warranty and you have got bosch type calipers fitted and you want to replace with the Lucas ones, you will also have to replace the handbrake cable IF it has a little ball on the end where it fits onto the caliper.

The later cables were fitted with a kind of T configuration on the end..

can you tell i work for Vauxhall... Sad arent i

The earlier BOSCH pads were prone to seizing in the carriers hence the fitting of the lucas calipers with the stainless steel guides to prevent from re occuring

Good luck

Mick

Hi Mick, Neil here i'am also a vauxhall mechanic (oops technician). Don't want to sound rude but how much per hour are your mech's on, we have been taken over and they are shutting us down, so it means we will now all have to travel to their other branch, they have said £7.00-£7.50 per hour is a very good wage for us to be on. we are trying to find out what other dealers are paying?. our apprentice has gone to toyota on £9.00 per hour

Mick Leek said:
claudeballs

One thing to consider is that you need a wind back tool for the rear calipers ( if it has discs fitted)

You will find two holes in the piston that lugs on the tool fit into. You then rotate the tool clockwise to wind back the piston.

I recomend you fit genuine pads as these will come with new stainless steel guides ( If lucas type ) and these are best replaced while doing the pads. The earlier calipers were BOSCH and these were replaced under warranty with the better lucas type.

If your vehicle isnt under warranty and you have got bosch type calipers fitted and you want to replace with the Lucas ones, you will also have to replace the handbrake cable IF it has a little ball on the end where it fits onto the caliper.

The later cables were fitted with a kind of T configuration on the end..

can you tell i work for Vauxhall... Sad arent i

The earlier BOSCH pads were prone to seizing in the carriers hence the fitting of the lucas calipers with the stainless steel guides to prevent from re occuring

Good luck

Mick

Mick,

I got my local garage to fit new front pads as it appears that the noise was coming from there. Since then, the noise has started again and now it appears that it is indeed coming from the back of the car (sounds a bit like a slipping fan belt noise but also like if it's metal on metal too).
My garage said to take it back to them if it starts again - I'm going back on Friday with it. One of the guys will sit in the car/drive it with me this time and hopefully, we will be able to identify the problem and rectify it once and for all.

Incidentally, the front passenger side pad was quite badly worn but the driver's side seemed to be ok. :confused:

Claudballs,

The Zafira and Astra use the same parts.

Firstly the front pads are fitted with an "audiable warning indicator" This is a small sprung strip of metal that is designed to touch the outer lip of the disc when the pads are worn causing a scraping noise.

The rear pads are also fitted with a simular device. If the noise is high pitched, then it is probably this causing it. If the noise is very deep and can be felt through the car and is very harsh, then it is more likely that you have indeed gone metal to metal :cry:

I find it horific that you have gone to a garage with a brake problem, told the guy what "you" suspect and think is wrong and he hasnt even bothered to check the remainder of the braking system. Seems very slack to me.

The fact that one side has worn faster than the other is nothing to worry about UNLESS there is a significant difference. A couple of mm is usually just down to the pads sticking in the carrier and therefore are not fully released when pressure to the pedal is released.

Front pad renewal is pretty straightforward, as explained earlier. The rear is more involved but not difficult.

let me know if you need any more info.

Regards,

Mick

Mick,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any tips or pointers that I should mention to the guys when I take the car in on Friday - something that they SHOULD be checking ? Do you (from what I've said) reckon that the problem is more likely than not to be rear brakes causing the noise ?

The thing is, the car is handling perfectly - plenty power etc. it's just this bloody squeling noise that's annoying. :confused:

think you are on the right track... I personally think it could be a problem with the brakes but it is difficult without hearing it..

Can you record it on your phone then text me the noise :LOL: :LOL: JOKE

Mick
Edit,

You could look at the rear pads (shape) where they fit into the carrier see it the "EARS" are square edged or round. I can then tell you if you have the later type calipers fitted.

Also just had a thought, There is a madified rubber damper available to combat or aid the lever to release fully. May be worth while asking your Mech to look for it.

It is a round rubber disc about 40mm diameter on the inner side of the caliper near where the cable attaches to the caliper..

Mick

Mick,

Thanks for the info. I'll mention what you said to the guys (maybe they'll think I'm trying to teach them how to suck eggs :D ) and see how it goes. As I said, one of them is going to sit in the car whilst it's moving and then, perhaps, maybe we'll find out what's happening.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome. :)

Sponsored Links
Back