Vehicle Speeds in Great Britain: 2006

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
www.dft.gov.uk

I wonder how many of them actually know the speed limit for their vehicle? 60,50,40 Mway, dual c and national limit ...
...On major non built-up single carriageway roads, 76 per cent of articulated heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) exceeded their 40 mph limit (28 per cent by more than 10 mph). The average speed recorded for articulated HGVs on these roads was 46 mph, just 2 mph less than the average speed of cars (48 mph), for which the limit on these roads is 60 mph...
The survey also reveals a high incidence of speeding by HGVs on 30 mph roads: 44 per cent of 2-axle HGVs exceeded the speed limit, 15 per cent by more than 5 mph. This compares with 46 per cent and 18 per cent respectively in 2005...
Strange this, it is known that the limits are being ignored, yet, even with tachograph recordings I wonder if the problem is really being addressed?
:)

Sponsored Links
Many people who drive normal motor cars dont realise what those all-so-familiar white round signs mean.

440px-Natspeedlimit.jpg

There is a road near my place of work, the Stocksbridge Bypass, a single carriageway, which has average speed monitoring, but nowhere does it say the limit is 60, it just has un-restricted signs up. You get all sorts of morons going along at 40 in motor cars, because they dont know what the actual limit is but they know there are cameras monitoring them. And those that really believe the limit is 50. :(

On the other extreme, certain people go along at 80, and turn off just before the next camera. :evil: Millions were spent improving this road recently to protect us all from these people. It was an accident blackspot before the cameras were put up and road re-surfaced and re-painted, now its very safe. :)

no mention of the speed limits for CDV's or non CDV's (car derived vans) either.

many police dont even know the speed limits for them......this is based on a straw poll conducted by myself at the roadside after being pulled over numerous times for "speeding". :D

nickso said:
no mention of the speed limits for CDV's or non CDV's (car derived vans) either.
Given they have the chassis of a car, surely it'd be the same speed limit as a car.

Sponsored Links
I expect those cross road cables were collecting the data.

Free to see here :- http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#103

Here's the best one :-
Goods vehicles ... Inc the ubiquitous White 'un.
(not exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)

..0 When on hand-held moby ;) ;)
30 built up area
50 Single carriageways
60 Dual carriageways

70 Mo-Way

:cool:

thats all fine and well but the split for a CDV and non CDv is two tonnes unladen weight isnt it?.

i forget because i know mine is a CDV and gets away with normal speeds.

nickso said:
thats all fine and well but the split for a CDV and non CDv is two tonnes unladen weight isnt it?.

i forget because i know mine is a CDV and gets away with normal speeds.

yes, 2 Tonnes is the cut off.
But the point I was making is that goods vehicles not exceeding 7.5 T are restricted - plenty driving them don't know that... But then the driver is usually gabbling into his hand held moby.
50 Single carriageways.
60 Dual carriageways.
:D

Those speds you quoted for non-CDVs, would the SPECs cameras be able to access the type of vehicle in its database and determine the NSL for each vehicle?

I suspect standard fixed speed cameras dont have this ability, due to them simply taking a photo, not recording the number plate. :(

Our fleet includes Berlingo's. Citroen, in their wisdom, register all Berlingo's as panel vans, not CDV's, so they are restricted to the lower limits.

I have often thought about HGV's on a national speed limited A road, HGV limit 40 mph. Car passes a live Gatso at 68mph- FLASH -
38 Tonnes hammers through at 66mph (downhill out of cog ;) ) nothing happens, the latter has exceeded it's limit by 65% the former by 13.3% one has 25 times the energy of the other... which would normally be safer at such speeds on an A road?
I think this has been aired before, can the Gatso radar, alone, distinguish between HGV and several smaller vehicles in close proximity? nah, I don't think so.
Maybe this is why many dual carriageways in my area are 50 mph limited this should catch all over the limit on the odd speedcam.
Same with a proliferation of 40mph limited A roads where 50mph would be fine .. HGV limit 40mph
:(

Crafty said:
Many people who drive normal motor cars dont realise what those all-so-familiar white round signs mean.
There is a road near my place of work, the Stocksbridge Bypass, a single carriageway, which has average speed monitoring, but nowhere does it say the limit is 60, it just has un-restricted signs up. You get all sorts of morons going along at 40 in motor cars, because they dont know what the actual limit is but they know there are cameras monitoring them. And those that really believe the limit is 50.
How is it that you know that they don't know what the sign means? Maybe they don't want to travel at 60mph (or 70 on a dual carriageway). It's not mandatory that they travel at the limit. Seems like you're assuming a lot here Crafty without actually knowing jack.
Also, "un-restricted" is a bad choice of words, it has been refered to as de-restricted limit but national speed limit applies would be better. ;)

There are no UNRESTRICTED or DE-RESTRICTED roads in the UK. The maximum National speed limit is 70mph for Roads governed by Motorway Regulations and a few dual carriageways where it is deemed safe.

Otherwise all A roads should be used in accordance with the Highway Code or otherwise posted speed restictions.

The sign posted above, often called the National Speed limit, is a red herring, it only applies to the maximum speed that can be legally driven on that type of road.

For single carriageway A roads that can be from 20mph to a maximum of 60mph. However the 60mph limit is only applicable on roads that have safety barriers. If no barrier exists, or the road passes through a residential area that has reduced Lamp height, then the limit is 50mph. If the A road is a dual carriagway for more than 1 mile, then the limit is 60mph for unbarriered carriageways, or 70mph for unlit but barriered carriageways.

National Speed limit for unclassified roads is not 70mph as some seem to think, it is 40mph if unlit, but 30mph if illuminated, unless it is more than one carriageway wide (but these are usually classified then)

Car Derived Vans are required to abide by the same limits as Cars, Panel Vans, and all LGV's up to a GVW of 5.5T are limited to 10mph below the Car/CDV limit or a maximum 60mph depending on which is applicable to the road.

LGV's are restricted to 30mph, 40mph and a maximum of 56mph depending on the road.

All that information I have just copied from a Handbook for Traffic Police that my friend has in his car..He's a traffic cop for his sins :)

I don't think I recall seeing the "national speed limit applies" sign used on a road where the speed limit was less than 60 for cars. Can you think of one?

gcol said:
How is it that you know that they don't know what the sign means? Maybe they don't want to travel at 60mph (or 70 on a dual carriageway).
Women in small cars . . . I figured it out for myself ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back