Velux Window Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a couple of Velux windows fitted in the loft and from the outside the tiles are bowed up where they rest on the flashing for the window.

Is this normal installation as every other velux I have seen the tiles meet the window at the sides and they dont bow up, they seem to be level with the existing roof tiles.

It looks like the flashing is too high and is pushing the tiles up.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Racey

Sponsored Links
Freddie

Thanks for the reply.

I would have liked to show u a picture just to make sure.

Cheers

Redtogreen

Sponsored Links
depending on the tiles it depends which flashing should be used my guess as I have seen this loads of times is that they are plain 265 x165 tiles and that they have used the wrong flashing the correct flashing for this is an EDP the tiles should meet the velux as flat as the rest of the roof. If you are having to notch tiles with a grinder you are using the wrong flashings.

The velux window could have been fitted to high
The flashing kit could have been fitted incorrectly or the wrong type
Or the roofer was lazy and did not nock the nibs of the back of the tiles
Or said roofer has taken the tiles to far over the fashing units witch on some flashing units
Have a up stand to take the tiles to and not past .

So i'm not the only one to have had complete morons and idiots around who claim to know how to fit velux windows...

I had exactly the same problem over the summer...I think you will find...assuming they have fitted the correct flashing kit for your tiles (you can check with velux technical support)

...what these idiots have done ..apart from not reading the installation instructions that comes with the flashing kit

There is a foam gasket supplied which you are supposed to trim down to reduce the angle of the tile...I bet they have not trimmed it..This will cause lift

Secondly and which is causing the most lift is they have rested the edge of the tile on the edge lip of the flashing...This is WRONG..It should be positioned on a secondary lip which is not as high...The gap in between the two is the water channel..If you can get up to the window and see the flashing you will see what I mean

Only solution unfortunately is to strip off tiles..gasket will need trimming and unfortunately i suspect tiles will need cutting

For plain tiles like that you should as I said use an EDP flashing if you are using one of the ones with foam then you are using the wrong flashing, the ones with foam are for pantiles.The EDP flashing is similar to the slate flashing but has steped soakers that slot into a run off channel.

Freddie fair play you are correct, I thought you were cutting grooves in the actual backs of tiles :oops:

@Redtogreen
from your photos I can see that they have used the EDZ flashing
It should have been the EDP.
Velux used to recommend the EDZ for plain tiles up until about 4 years ago then they came out with the EDP just for plain tiles .
We used to notch the battens 10mm to get the flashings to sit down better with the old EDZ .Not like lots of roofers that would beat the hell out of the flashing kit and say that’s how its fixed .
I would say that the builder /roofer that fitted your windows and flashings didn’t no, or has always used the EDZ.

One point that I can see from your photos is that your ridge tiles need to be re-pointed , if you don’t do it soon then come a good strong wind in the right direction and you will have other problems to worry about .
Mind you looks like someone has already made a bad job of putting the end ridge back on ;) :eek:

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the advice unfortunately for me I have already stumped up the cost.

Cheers

Racey

Hi Racey...dunno if you used a "reputable" company ..but if you can get them back if you go on the velux site (canada I think) you will be able to prove that they fitted them to the flashing kit incorrectly ..with regards which flashing kit to use I contacted Velux and also the manufacturer of my plain Tiles (Fortecrete) and was told the EDZ flashing should be used although their web site says EDP!!! ...so what chance of getting the wrong one fitted..crazy isn't it

All I can really suggest is that with the existing flashing in place if the tiles adjacent are removed, the foam gasket underneath trimmed down and the tiles cut and then mounted on the correct shallow ridge of the two running down the side of the flashing this will considerably reduce the lift on the tiles..

I really do sympathise with you because I agree it looks awful..In the end the ****tt that did my roof did such an awful job on my roof that I literally had to strip everything off and do the whole job myself..hence I've learned a bit about roofs!..at least with yours he looks like he got the Veluxes in straight..mine weren't even that

Good luck mate..

Hi Jogger

I have contacted velux sent them some pictures and they agree that the windows are not right.

The builder is getting arsy so I am going to pay the 100 quid to get velux out and give me a report and give the builder the chance to put things right otherwise its down to the small claims.

Great forum here.

Thanks again for the advice.

Racey

Hi I need a bit more advice on the velux problem please.

Managed to track the builder down and he reckons the reason for the tiles kicking up is that the roof uses 19mm battens and should have 25-38mm battens.

Is this correct or just BS.

Thanks
Racey

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back