Vent near to sewer manhole

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by spannerzone, 19 Aug 2018.

1. spannerzone

spannerzone

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I live in a terrace house, typical Victorian row of 4 houses, each house connects to a shared private sewer at the back, this then runs underneath my garage extension and out to the main sewer in the road. The manhole on my driveway at the front has an odd 6 inch pipe that vents out at a nearby public pathway (mud/grass track). I had the driveway done a while ago and the builders uncovered this bare pipe that's in the path to the right of my house....but it's not my land.

This can't be right without something to stop the smells? Should I fit an air admittance valve to stop the smells? (like this) is it usual to have a vent at the manhole cover (I've seen this on other old houses and there's a metal square box with a grill that I assume is a one way valve)

I'm no plumber but the smells from the sewer aren't good and I feel needs sorting out.

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. spannerzone

spannerzone

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Most of those vents are rammed solid with crap.

If you can smell it in your garden i’d cap it in the manhole.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. fatplumber

fatplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Low level vents admit air. The warmed air in the soil pipe vents at the high points they is the soil vent pipes above the roof. If you are getting smells from a low level vent then look to your vent pipes. They may have been cut off during building works.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Sponsored Links
  8. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As Ian says, cap it in the manhole. Shove some concrete up to seal it, smooth off level with chamber wall. Dont drop any in the chamber! Remove vent outside and bury the remaining pipework.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. spannerzone

spannerzone

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks everyone, my soil stack is certainly working (I've been up and can smell and hear it working and all seems good) the low level vent is also clear and goes into the manhole. No blockage at all....the sewer smell wafts out from the ground vent under certain conditions, when wind is blowing from the east I think.

if there's little risk to the flow (I don't want to cause a vacuum and restrict the flow), I will block the ground vent with that cap linked above and leave it to make sure all flows nicely. Thanks once again everyone.

11. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local