Vertical flue installation - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need some advice on the installation of a vertical flue going straight through a pitched roof. I've only ever installed standard horizontal flues before, so to be honest don't have much of a clue.

The house currently has a primatic HWC and a one pipe system, all of which is coming out. The house is one of those odd 60's ones without a loft. The boiler will be going in the airing cupboard and fluing directly upwards and through the pitched roof, approx 2 metres to the underside. The householder wants a combi.

I haven't chosen a boiler yet and am happy to go with others advice . My specific questions are (and if I haven't asked any obvious ones, please tell me):-

1) Is it usual to specify that a roofer be used to cut through the roof and make good?

2) What kind of support does the flue require?

3) Would the flue go straight up or is it normal for it to offset to the wall and then go directly up

4) Unless this conflicts with (1) how would one cut a hole for the flue?

Thanks in advance ...

Sponsored Links
No, unless you don't like heights.

Metal brackets, mostly available.

Depends on the distance you have to go, you use offsets to alter the position of the outlet, better if you can go straight.

I tend to use lead replacement tiles, differing ones for pitch of roof, and I use an angle grinder with diamond blade to cut tiles.

Sponsored Links
Gasman1015 said:
No, unless you don't like heights.

Metal brackets, mostly available.

Depends on the distance you have to go, you use offsets to alter the position of the outlet, better if you can go straight.

I tend to use lead replacement tiles, differing ones for pitch of roof, and I use an angle grinder with diamond blade to cut tiles.

Cheers Gasman

If you asking for basic knowledge such as you have asked for i am helping you as a little knowledge can be very dangerous. If you have to ask on an internet site how to do what is a standard job you should not be quoting for it let alone attempting doing it.

namsag said:
If you asking for basic knowledge such as you have asked for i am helping you as a little knowledge can be very dangerous. If you have to ask on an internet site how to do what is a standard job you should not be quoting for it let alone attempting doing it.

You Mr Perfect then.

You could have a guy who's fitted a thousand flues and without one of them a roof terminal! Do get fed up with the way some people dive in feet first on the less experienced as it puts the genuine off of asking. Pays to investigate a little deeper before putting people down. Well done AB for asking rather than bodge (excuse the pun).
Consider getting a second identity for questions where you may be made to look inadequate!

If you dont know, its always better to ask and ensure you do it properly!

However, I am more interested in how you are disposing of the condensate from the airing cupboard?

Replumbing a single pipe system is quite a lot of work!

Tony

Thanks for the advice, those who gave it. I suppose I am quite inexperienced compared to many, having only installed about 50 odd boilers - all of which had horizontal flues.

Agile, condensate presents no problems as I can easily tee into the bathroom basin waste which is less than 2' away. Were this not the case then the only other suitable position for the boiler would be in the kitchen which would have meant that I wouldn't have needed to ask the question at all. This wasn't the ideal location as a kitchen cupboard would have been sacrificed. Replacing the one pipe system won't be too bad as the householder has just moved in and has no carpets upstairs yet. Only 2 rads to be installed downstairs both of which will have drop down surface mount pipe work, so in fact the job is a very straightforward one.

Thanks anyway. I guess I will use a roofer for this one and watch how he does it, oh, and I really don't like heights!

Basic question how would i support flue, this is covered in the core section of ACS that everyone should have completed. Also covered extensively in manufacturers instructions. Is the roofer going to put flue in? is he corgi registered, remote possibility he may damage it in some way as he does it leaving you responsible... Nothing against new comers but as opposed to asking and geussing or only getting partial information bite the bullet and ask someone in merchants if you can watch them do one

No, the roofer would not install the flue, he would cut through the roof. In any event I would be there and take responsibility for the entire installation.

As an aside I might have passed my CCN1 and the majority of the elements but that doesn't mean that I am prepared to possibly damage someones property if I am not 100% sure of what I am doing. To my mind it is better to learn from someone more experienced than myself. I felt the same way the first time I cored a hole for a horizontal flue - can't easily recover from daft mistakes can you?

I take the view that the RGI should do all the roof work as roofers simply dont know how to do it.

That gives the difficulty of how to get onto the roof. The last one I did was a situation where the owner had a ladder up to the gutter and I got him to hire a roof ladder and just did it myself.

I do have to say that as I get older ( over 40 now! ) I am getting less confident in my strength to do roof jobs. I met a 28 y.o. serving soldier last weekend and to test his strength did an arm wrestle. I was surprised that I was able to keep my end up against him but sometime soon I will have accept my limitations.

Tony

Tony- here's hoping that 'keeping your end up against him' -you mean the arm wrestle!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

I need some advice on the installation of a vertical flue going straight through a pitched roof. I've only ever installed standard horizontal flues before, so to be honest don't have much of a clue.

The house currently has a primatic HWC and a one pipe system, all of which is coming out. The house is one of those odd 60's ones without a loft. The boiler will be going in the airing cupboard and fluing directly upwards and through the pitched roof, approx 2 metres to the underside. The householder wants a combi.

I haven't chosen a boiler yet and am happy to go with others advice . My specific questions are (and if I haven't asked any obvious ones, please tell me):-

1) Is it usual to specify that a roofer be used to cut through the roof and make good?

2) What kind of support does the flue require?

3) Would the flue go straight up or is it normal for it to offset to the wall and then go directly up

4) Unless this conflicts with (1) how would one cut a hole for the flue?

Thanks in advance ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back