Very confused ..shower advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, what a great site.

I'd really appreciate some help to stop me buying the wrong stuff!

Firstly I'll tell you what I have:
A water tank as well as a smaller tank in the attic, a slimline gas boiler in the airing cupboard (don't have the model number to hand), cylinder in the airing cupboard and a shower pump put in the same cupboard about a year ago.
My shower is one of those panels with a shower head, separate hand shower and the "nipple" jets! I don't find the pressure to be as much as I'd like and I don't know if it is because the pump pushes the water from the airing cupboard, up in to the attic, 10 feet to the bathroom and down to the shower.

We want to replace the bath and a powerful shower is very important to me.

In the future I'd really like to get the attic back and maybe do a loft conversion so I believe that I'd need to rethink my system. From what I gather from others my options would be a combi boiler (but told that it wouldn't be great for a 3 bed, 2 kids), a megaflow system or a thermal heat store.

My pressure in is good.

The combi would mean that I could also get the airing cupboard back but I don't have any options to relocate a boiler and cylinder so I'm not against having to use the cupboard if needs be.

I guess what I'm trying to achieve right now is; to buy a shower that will give me the power that I want and will be compatible with whatever future system I go for if, and when I try to reclaim my attic.

To be honest, all I want is a good shower and to be able to get rid of the tanks etc some time later.

I'd really appreciate any help and I hope that I've provided enough info to make it an easy project to understand

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the shower type I'd like is the hidden type so a shower head coming out of the wall and a couple of nice taps to operate it

Andy

What is the mains pressure and flow rate coming into the building? "My pressure in is good" won't cut it I'm afraid.

Have you read through the hundreds of related topics on this?

A System boiler probably not require an alteration of the gas supply. I would hazard a guess at a 250 litre or 300 litre cylinder being adequate for your needs.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest either a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 combi or a Ecotec Plus 600 series system boiler with a Unistor un-vented cylinder connected to the boiler via the VR65 .

Either of these will only give you full benefite of good showering and /or baths if your incoming water pressure and flow rate is good, i.e over 3 bar and around 20 litres/min. Dont forget that the water pressure drops by about 1/3rd bar for each storey you go up.

As Dan says a system boiler MAY get away with the exisiting gas pipe work but an 837 would need increasing in size from the gas meter.

Where do you skydive? Headcorn?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back