Very little hot water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my husband has recently drained down the water tank in the loft so that he could fit new bath mixer tap. since he has done this water pressure on hot taps upstairs and down is poor, also we can only fill the bath half full before water goes cold. He also thinks that the cold water tank fills up very slowly, unsure if it fills slower than before. Would this be the cause of less hot water available?

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
gaynie said:
my husband has recently drained down the water tank in the loft so that he could fit new bath mixer tap. since he has done this water pressure on hot taps upstairs and down is poor, also we can only fill the bath half full before water goes cold. He also thinks that the cold water tank fills up very slowly, unsure if it fills slower than before. Would this be the cause of less hot water available?

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

Sorry but yea hubby,s a botch it man get shut of him and get yea sin a real man i will be a round tomorrow night and i will show yea a few tricks of the trade.

Warning: Bob is insane

You mention that the hot water flow is worse and that a different hot tap has been fitted.

It is more likely to be the tap that is causing the problem, rather than being caused because the tank was drained.

It is an Italian tap, and did you choose it because it looks cool?

Filing the cold water tank depends on the bal valve that fills it working properly. it is usually easier to fit a new one.

Another example of a DIY job gone wrong! Full marks for trying but no marks for results.

You may end up using the money saved to call a professional to diagnose the fault(s).

May be an exit valve not fully opening.

The new taps may be designed for high pressure supplies. Did Hubby check the specifications or did you just buy something that looked nice?

Tony

Sponsored Links
It is just a standard shelf item from BnQ. Pressure is not as good downstairs either and the amount of hot water we are getting before it gets cool is a worry.

Warning to Bob.
Hubby is six foot 3 and 18 stone.

Thats a quick reply. However his height and overweight is not adding to his DIY skills.

Bob says he is in Cuba although I suspect Southern England is more likely.

People who give unlikely locations usually give unlikely advice!

Tony

If the flow has reduced downstairs on the hot you may have an airlock - do a search.

qwack qwack i just wanna qwack qwack this problem could be he,s not turned the mains on full..................Doo thats another fine mess Agile.

Where,s my rubber duck.

I think that Bob's been listening the BBC Radio 4 afternoon plays again!

I thought you were only 6' 6" !

Are you still growing?

Tony

Some mixer taps can allow cold water feed to pass back through into the hot water feed as well, particularly if the pressures are unbalanced. This may be mixing with stored hot water, cooling it.

It may cause also cause the cold storage tank to overflow.

I'm 8ft
fatso2.gif

Dunno what I weigh cos I can't see the scales.
Doors are ok if you squeeze yourself through lump at a time.

Nobody's addressed the shortage-of-hot-water issue. WHen it appears to have run out, go feel the top of the hot water cylinder, see if it's really cold or not..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back