Very old Vaillant boiler... time to say goodbye?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the approximate life expectancy of a boiler?

I have a Vaillant combi-boiler which I think is about 17 years old. I looked it up once but can't remember the precise number. It's old!!!

The central heating system was recently drained in order to install a heated towel rail in the bathroom.

After this, the boiler no longer works. It just doesn't fire. The pilot light is on. Apparently the pump works but nothing is happening.

I would have thought 17 years is "a good innings" for a boiler and I should let it go to a better place???

Should I get a second opinion?

Any comments?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did it work ok before you drained it? Did you refill and vent it properly, including the pump? There are plenty or wizards here with in depth knowledge- but yes, things have moved on a little!

Expect a clamour saying hold on to it! 17 years is not particularly old for that generation of Vaillant. Wouldn't be surprised if it outlives some of today's offerings. We need to identify it though - has it got round or square guages, where are the knobs, that sort of thing.

Reasons for it not working might be air, or dirt in the system. Action to take depends on model. Look for something like VCW 242.

(I think) it says it's a

VCW-sine 18
T3 WF H
Combined heater Cat I2h (In) Type C1
GC number 4704401

The guages - temperature and pressure - are round and on the left hand side when you open the bottom door.

It was working fine before the plumbers removed the old bathroom radiator to install a new towel radiator.

They tried flushing out the system today.

The boiler fires up and works for a bit, then cuts out.

Sounds like I should get a second opinion about ditching it.

???

Sponsored Links
You say the plumbers drained the system, Then they try to flush the installation.

Did you check if they were Corgi registered? Most likely not as they would not have drained the system to add or remove a radiator or two.

This boiler has been known to run for 25 YEARS without a hitch.

I am the amateur in this situation... not the plumbers!!! They are definitely Corgi registered.

The boiler works but it cuts out. The top half, the metal casing gets extremely hot.

I think the only thing I can do is get another opinion.

Thanks

If it worked before then there is no reason for it not to work now, fek it was only drained and refilled, it can only be air or dirt.

There's an air vent on the pump - make sure the cap is LOOSE and not bunged up. There's another one right on the TOP of the main heat exchanger, well worth bleeding air out there.

I think) it says it's a

VCW-sine 18
T3 WF H
Combined heater Cat I2h (In) Type C1
GC number 4704401
and you want to bin it for a plastic modern heap of
behave
as dp said good old workhorse and life left in it yet

Thanks again.

I must try and be assertive with the plumber then. And if he won't do it, get another plumber.

Thanks

Scrap your plumber, not the boiler.

The boiler at least deserves treating with some respect (it's earned it), but your plumber doesn't seem to know how to treat a boiler. We all need a bit of TLC now and again.

I think it would be worth checking before anyone sets out to you that he is familiar with a Vaillant Sine T3. It'll be a bit duanting if he's only seen more modern combis. It was for me anyway!

And don't be fopbbed off with "no spares available" - yes they are.

If anyone knows how I can find someone who is expert with this type of old Vaillant boiler - please let me know. I`m in north London, N8.

Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back