very simple wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If running cable for a ring main, when dropping down through the ceiling and then vertically down the wall to feed a socket then back up again:

1. Do you have to use plastic conduit?
2. If yes, do you have to clip the cables or can they just rest loose inside the conduit?

PS Whats the difference between white cable and grey cable when they are both labelled for the same application???

Sponsored Links
for where the wire can go, see the reference thread.

grey is standard cable
white is LSF

matz said:
1. Do you have to use plastic conduit?

As long keep vertical/horizontal from the accessory, conduit is not required, but it is very useful in the future if you need to change wiringl

matz said:
2. If yes, do you have to clip the cables or can they just rest loose inside the conduit?

They can just rest loose.

matz said:
PS Whats the difference between white cable and grey cable when they are both labelled for the same application???

There is no difference, simply a different coloured sheath.

andrew2022 said:
grey is standard cable
white is LSF

Are you sure? I've seen grey LSF, and white non-LSF.

Thanks for the info. and the link to reference section. According to that section, if running cable less than 50mm from the surface it has to be covered by a METAL conduit ie something that can't be penetrated by nail or screw etc. In our house (12 years old) on ripping off some dry lining, the cables were in PLASTIC conduit. Have the regs been updated since then?

ie if I put in plastic conduit, it won't pass?

Sponsored Links
earthed metal or 50mm depth is only needed when running outside of the permitted routes

I'm sorely tempted to say, "If it's that simple, why do you have to ask?"

Matz, I bet you're really talking about plastic capping, not conduit. And, as Plugwash has said, extra protection from penetration is only required by the regs for cable which runs outside of prescribed zones. In fact, you need no protection whatsoever if you use double insulated cable (such as twin and earth) within the permitted routes.

However, no amount of protection will prevent a determined homeowner from drilling through a cable if he's really trying. :LOL:

andrew2022 said:
grey is standard cable
white is LSF
That's not the rule at all - and dangerous to assume it is if you really do need LSF/LSZH/LS0H cable...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back