VIBRATING & LOUD pipes when hot taps are opened

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I open both the upstairs and downstairs hot taps (and when hot water is going into washine machine), very shortly after (when the loft tank is beginning to refill with cold water) - there is an extremely loud pipe vibration noise which lasts for about 2/5 minutes. It seems to "move" through the house until it stops. I think it the cold water pipes that are vibrating. I have noticed that if I turn on the cold water tap while this noise is happening, it can reduce the vibration considerably, and sometimes stop it completely. This problem can still occur even when the hot water boiler is off.
Can anyone help me PLEEEZ!

Sponsored Links
this could be an air lock/ it may be possible to clear it by forcing water from the mains supply through the air-locked tap. this is a simple operation when the air lock is in the hot water tap in the kitchen, run a length of hose between the hot water tap and the cold water tap which is the maine supply,even when the air-lock is else where in the home it may be possible to run a longer length o9f hose to connect to the one that is effected.if more than one is effected then clesr the system from the lowest one,
1 fit a hose between the kitchen cold water tap. and the air locked tap.
2 turn on both taps for five minutes, turn off the affected tap first.

if an air-lock cannot be cleared by flushing or blowing, drain off the system, turn off the water at the hot water cylinder( or rising main if the cold water pipes are affected) and open all taps until water ceases to flow, close each tap approximately two thirds, then turn on the supply, adjust the taps to get a small, even flow of water, turn each tap in rotation starting at the bottom of the house, until they are half open, then all three quarters open, when all the air has spurted free, turn off each tap in rotation until only a dribble of water flows, close taps. hope this works for you.

thanx alot for this, however i only have mixer taps so i presume it will be better to carry out the draining option you advised
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Aint this a great site!!
Tony :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back