Vintage christmas lights! Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I recently bought 2 sets of old christmas lights, (probably 1950s). They were working when bought (ebay). They do not have plugs on and have 2 wires, not 3. How can I put a plug on? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Could you post the link to the items on eBay. I know what I'd guess at, but there could well be much much more to it than that........

Hi, thanks for your reply. The item numbers are: 4422245343 and 4422246268.
Any advice gratefully received.

Bulbs probably wired in series, faulty bulb & or connector. They always used to be a problem as you had to check eack bulb.

Edit
Hope you can get the bulbs

Sponsored Links
Nice Lights !

Well, given that the seller obviously had them working, I would double-check with them that they are definitely for use with mains electricity. If they are, then the intention is for one of the wires to go to live in your plug, one to neutral BUT given their age, I would take great heed of their warning about having a safety check done.

for the £5 you paid for them i would just use them as decorations, no plug EVER.

If they are as old as claimed they will be breaking down through age, on the other hand they may be only a few years old, personally i would not take the chance

My recipe for using old Christmas lights is to rewire them in parallel and power them from a suitably rated transformer (something like 12V, 20VA). The transformer has to be chosen carefully otherwise your bulbs will go up in smoke. The transformer will probably cost you £10-15 as well!

then to rewire them in paralell, hmmmmmm lot of time involved not to mention lots of nice connections to break down, sorry, stick to using them as non iluminating decorations

Hi
Many thanks for your thoughts. I think I'll get a safety check done after checking with the seller. They would look good as decorations but it would be great if they worked as lights, I'll post again to let you know the outcome. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back