Vinyl Flooring over Chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've laid a floor with 8'x2' green chipboard flooring, screwed into timber joists :) I now have a roll of (2mm thick) vinyl flooring I want to lay over this :?:
Problem (1): Some of my screw recesses where I've screwed the chipboard to the joists are too deep, creating shallow holes 5mm in dia. where the screw head has gone into the chipboard :!:
Problem (2): Most of the chipboard joins have some movement where there is no joist immediately below :!:
Answer: I know I could lay the whole floor with hardboard (too big to fit in my car) :( Is there another way by using a filler to fill the cracks/holes :?:
Many Thanks :idea:

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should have laid the chipboard with the ends starting and finishing halfway across a joist. This will prevent movement in the boards and subsequent creaking noises. It will also stop your foot from going through the floor.
You may wish to consider 'moving' the boards in order to accomodate this.
Best look at guides for fitting chipboards in lofts.

As for the holes, I would probably try wood filler.

:D

Put noggin ( 4"x2" flat way ) between joist where the chipboard joint is.This will stop the movement.

I am assuming you transported the 8 X 2 Chipboard in your car so I suggest buying 8 X 4 sheets of 6mm Ply and having the supplier rip it into 2 foot widths and lay it the opposite way to your Chipboard using maximum 25mm Annular nails.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your help so far - I think I'll sleep easier if I covered the floor with hardboard. I'm hoping can get away with 3mm hardboard rather than 6mm ply - there isn't that much movement.

However, I've worked out the area is 20m2 - if I were to fix the hardboard at 200mm centres - that's 500 nails :!: Could I get away with a staple gun - if so, any recomendations, or is it best to nail all 500 by hand :?:

The alternative I guess is to use 6mm ply with fewer nails - what centres should I use if I go that route?

Many thanks.

A point worth remembering is that hammering nails into a floor can have the side effect of removing plaster from the ceiling below - especially around the nails holding the plasterboard to the ceiling. I would be inclined to unscrew the boards and reposition/recut to make sure they join on a joist or add noggins as suggested already.

I don't know if this is still necessary,the hardboard should be damp with 1 pint of water per 8' x 4' to stop the expansion ? Any comments ?

OK - it may be appropriate if I explain my project in more detail.

I'm converting a long garage (8m x 2.4m) into a games room. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it, hence the construction technique:
- levelled floor with packed sand and cement border
- laid DPM over top
- laid a timber 2" framework with 2" polystyrene sheets in the gaps inside the wooden frame. This gives an even flat surface
- laid 18mm green T&G chipboard sheets on top, screwed to wooden framework, or just resting on polystyrene in between
- it feels solid enough
- the only movement is in some areas where a chipboard T&G joint gives (say) 1 - 2mm movement when standing on one sheet

My wooden framwork supports an 8' x 2' chipboard sheet at each end and also half-way through the length. The polystyrene to supports the chipboard sheet in between.

Hardboard would appear to be the answer, as it'll cover the screw holes and gaps in the chipboard (where for example I've had to cut away the T&G to give access to a man-hole).

I'm toying with the idea of nailing / stapling at 200mm centres, or just leave the hardboard sheets floating - with 20m2 of vinyl on top, I'd have thought it unlikely to move much.

I do really appreciate your help. Faceless DIY stores and 'the wife' are not necessary good sources of advice!

Just a thought,

You could glue the chipboard joint or put more screw down or noggins for support.

You can get heavy duty thick vinyl without having to put hardboard down which probably make up the cost,

If you're getting frame movement you can use 6" fisher screw from top of chipboard to floorscreed.

How about laminated flooring or clip on type if you need to move it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back