vinyl over hardboard - panic now or later?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This afternoon I removed my bathroom suite, fitted the a new floor and fitted a new suite, not bad for a sunday afternoon!!

The floor is 1950s floorboard which are a bit uneven. I have nailed some hardboard to them before gluing (with PVA) the vinyl. To start with it looked wonderful, nice and flat and solid feeling. Four hours later the hardboard appears to be raising up in places giving the floor a bouncy feeling. You can now feel the floor 'move' down to meet the floorboards in these places when you stand on it.

Do I panic now or wait for the glue to dry?
Is it going to be like this from now on, if so what can I do to make these bouncy bits go away?

Sponsored Links
Generally if you're putting hardboard down, you should wet the boards a while before putting them down. Sounds like what's happened is the water in the pva has swelled the hardboard causing the humps. It'll probably go back whe it dries but if it gets wet again, it'll probably do it again.
I hate hardboard.
You'd have been better using spray adhesive.

I hate hardboard
Is there a better alternative ? I'm looking at replacing my bathroom floor, and had been planning to put hardboard down after I'd got the floorboards reasonably level.

ah reading a few more posts it sounds like 'water resistant ply' is the way to
go. but this sounds like 'thicker' stuff to me - more difficult to put down ?
May be I will get a pro in...

Sponsored Links
what about that fibrous insulation board you can use if you want heated floors ? will that be effective for flattening the floor ?
It appeals to me a bit since its softer and easier to cut to shape (given my lack of skills with a jigsaw)

Normally the softer the wood materal means as well as being easy to cut it will also aborb more moisture and swell. Put down some marine ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back