Virus that turns PC off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About six months ago there was a virus that turned the PC off within about 5mins, I know the fix was in the Daily Mail, but cannot remember the name of the virus or the fix. A friend of my has this virus, unless there is a new one about. They are running XP.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could be Sasser, a recent virus that causes the Local security service to terminate and hence as Windows can't run without local security, the operating systems shuts down.

Let's assume it is Sasser for a moment.

When you start the machine, Press Control+Alt+Delete to bring up the task manager. Click on the Processes tab and then on the Name tab. If you see a process in the list called or starting with avserve, then you are infected with Sasser. Click on the avserve process and then end it. This should stop the machine from shutting down.

Next, go here

Download the removal tool and follow the instruction, especially the bit about removing network connections and disabling System Restore!.

You will also need to install the Windows critical updates and update your virus software.

If it's not Sasser, or you can't tell, come back here.

Or was it that Netsky virus? I thought that was the virus. If you have windows NT, 2000 or Windows XP your computer will be affected, otherwise it would just be infected, and while you wouldn't notice it, it will just pass the virus on to others (wasting resources and being generally not very nice) - Always good to have up to date antivirus software. There are a few free programs available such as Antivir and AVG Free version which protect against viruses. Everyone should run one IMO.

BTW... Down with the Daily mail... Right wing B.S.

In a web browser search for stinger.exe, it's from Network Associates I think and download the latest version. Kills a great many of the nasties and its free :D

Sponsored Links
Major AV product sites usually have freely downloadable progs targetting specific virus infections.

P

Back